E220 with Full MB service - but 260,000 miles ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vette

Car
LEXUS IS 250
Hi all,
Looking a reasonable E220.
FMBSH
W212 (2016)
Should 260k miles put me off?
Looks immaculate, inside and out.
A testament to previous 1 owner and MB.

If the price reflects the intergalactic mileage and there’s history of it being properly maintained it’s certainly worth considering.

Hi all,
Looking a reasonable E220.
FMBSH
W212 (2016)
Should 260k miles put me off?
Looks immaculate, inside and out.
A testament to previous 1 owner and MB.
@vette I've bought high mileage cars (not MB) before and whilst engines and gearboxes can often be bulletproof, what is often overlooked is the suspension. Check whether it's had a suspension refresh at some point. I wouldn't be put off by 260k, providing everything checks out and the price is right.

Last edited:
2016 e220 cdi or e220d? The latter apparently has a much improved OM654 engine compared to the former cdi model.

I have had high miles Toyota's before, 300k plus on a 7 year old Land Cruiser.
However MB is a different ball park.
So high miles to me, isn't a factor.
More so the buy on condition and service history.
It is for my wife, who will drive 60 miles a day to work and back, almost 90% motorway at 60 mph.
So hoping for around 60 mpg or am I being over optimistic ?

If the price reflects the intergalactic mileage and there’s history of it being properly maintained it’s certainly worth considering.
Hi,
The history shows history for 15 MB main dealer.
Has failed MOT once, simply because of thin brake pads on rear.
One owner, one driver.

If it’s the 220D (OM654) then I don’t think you’re being over optimistic. I’m averaging 55 and that’s around 30% motorway / 70% town.

Big improvement on my previous OM651

The history shows history for 15 MB main dealer.
Has failed MOT once, simply because of thin brake pads on rear.
Any record of suspension bushes, joints, dampers, etc. being replaced? If it drives well and there have been no MOT issues, some or all must have been done.

I wonder how many “low mileage” cars actually have a mileage similar to this under their belt anyway. My bet is quite a few.

I once bought a 3 year old BMW which had done nearly 150,000 miles. It was a one driver company car which had been maintained within an inch of its life (the file of maintenance records was huge) and had obviously been looked after by its keeper with excellent paint and interior. For the money it was a no-brainer and served me well with next to no issues for another 4 years.
I'd always buy on condition and provenance; low miles are nice, but not everything.

I'd always buy on condition and provenance; low miles are nice, but not everything.
^ This.

Lots of people are scared of high mileages which means there are some potential bargains about. A thorough appraisal of current condition and the maintenance history will determine if a potential bargain is actually a real bargain or not. Even so, some major components can and do fail at higher mileages so you have to be reconciled to that.

High mileage vehicles can be bargains, but at 260,000 miles, it’s certainly a bit of a gamble. IMHO.

As others said, with high-milers, price is very important. If the OP will need to sell the car soon for whatever reason, you can be sure that potential buyers will knock-off ££££ for the mileage, so you don't want to end-up out of pocket. And, if he keeps the car for a number of years, it will reach the point where it has no resell value much sooner than other average-mileage cars. So buying on condition is obviously important, but the numbers have to add-up first.

E220 BlueTEC Sedan / E220 BlueTEC BlueEFFI

Engine 651
Hi , why don't you have the car inspected for condition.

I purchased a Volvo V90 with 100,000 miles on the clock and ran it up 220,000 but did have a full Volvo service history.

I had the car inspected and all OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom