e220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phoenix_nights

Car
94 E200 T
Have had my '94 E200T for nearly a year now and never been happier with any car that i have owned. Indeed whenever i give someone a lift in it they always comment on it. The only thing gone wrong so far is the passenger window regulator which i must get around to fixing.

Looks like i will be heading back to OZ so will i intend in continuing my ownership of a W124. They don't have the 200 so will probably go for a 220 ('94) and convert it to LPG which is half the price of leaded over there.

My question is : I know the 200 engine got a makeover in '94 which prevented the earlier problems (gasket or something , cant remember) but did the 220 engine suffer any downsides and was that replaced aswell.

Cheers.

The only E220 fault I know of is generic to fuel injected cars - the throttle bodies tend to need replacement. On some cars emissions go too high for an MOT pass and/or they idle or pull badly

I don't think there are any E220-specific faults and it's a much chirpier engine than the old 230

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
Parrot of Doom said:
Couldn't you ship the car over?

That did cross my mind but the following changed my mind

1) My car does not have air-conditioning which is needed in Oz
2) My car is an estate (which i love) but will want to convert gas and saloon is more pratical for that
3) By selling my car and not incurring costs of transporting it I can get the same model but with higher spec.
4) Insurance and Tax in Ireland made me go for the 2Litre but in Oz they are not so restrictive (had a ford 4litre last time i was there) so i can go for the 220.

Or the 320 ;)

I have reservations about any LPG conversions. No first hand experience though.

-The fuel in its gaseous form will expand ... esp in Oz.
-Travel through tunnels is forbidden by law in EU.. check in Oz.
- Not sure of the bennies for engine longevity...
- How much will you really save?

Virtually every taxi in Oz is a 4.0 litre petrol Ford Falcon with an LPG conversion.

Point taken but... Ford engines do not have the sophistication of MB engines. IIRC these are OHV engines with low compression ratios.:rolleyes:

Going Dutch??

phoenix_nights said:
Have had my '94 E200T for nearly a year now and never been happier with any car that i have owned. Indeed whenever i give someone a lift in it they always comment on it. The only thing gone wrong so far is the passenger window regulator which i must get around to fixing.

Looks like i will be heading back to OZ so will i intend in continuing my ownership of a W124. They don't have the 200 so will probably go for a 220 ('94) and convert it to LPG which is half the price of leaded over there.

My question is : I know the 200 engine got a makeover in '94 which prevented the earlier problems (gasket or something , cant remember) but did the 220 engine suffer any downsides and was that replaced aswell.

Cheers.

The 220 ENGINE twin cam 4 valve engine (in many ways like the cosworth :) ) started at about the same time as the new 2 litre replacing the old single cam 230. You can generally tell the later engined cars from having the facelift bonnet with the badge on the bonnet and a smaller grill and slightly larger headlights.However during 1993 the first multivalve engined cars came out with the older body but new engines just to confuse you. A sort of transition model if you like. As Bolide said the 220 engines are robust units and any problems you find will be with the injection/ignition systems. The 2 ignition coils (no distributer) and associated wiring can fail and the cars of that vintage did have engine wiring loom insulation breakdown problems. The degradation was accelerated by heat in the engine compartment and thus effected the 6cylinder and v8 models more in warmer climates. This might be an issue in AUSTRALIA so inspect the engine wiring loom carefully. The lpg conversion will be fine if you use one of the newer sophisticated multi injector systems rather than the older single point injection systems. The Dutch seem to offer some good ones but maybe better to source a kit in OZ

Monique said:
I have reservations about any LPG conversions. No first hand experience though.

-The fuel in its gaseous form will expand ... esp in Oz.
-Travel through tunnels is forbidden by law in EU.. check in Oz.
- Not sure of the bennies for engine longevity...
- How much will you really save?

Is that any tunnel or just the channel tunnel?

74merc said:
Virtually every taxi in Oz is a 4.0 litre petrol Ford Falcon with an LPG conversion.

Yeah i had one of them. An ex-taxi with about 250ks on the clock or maybe more. It was a station wagon and besides my e200t was one of the best cars that i owned. Ran only on lpg which was half the cost of petrol, could fit a sofa in the back and because it was an old taxi i never cared much if i got scratches on it....

towards the end the gasket cracked and the car was not worth fixing so i just drove it till the oil looked like milk. Used to fill her up with about 4 litres of water going to work and fill her up on the way back. Used to get people pulling up alongside telling me i had smoke billowing out the exhaust....

fun times........:) (also the story of driving from canberra to sydney with only one gear after the clutch slave cyclinder went on me on and old Saab 900. If only for roadworks outside sydney i would have nearly made it to my house)

Last edited:
phoenix_nights said:
(also the story of driving from canberra to sydney with only one gear after the clutch slave cyclinder went on me on and old Saab 900. If only for roadworks outside sydney i would have nearly made it to my house)

Why couldn't you change to a different gear? I've driven several cars where the clutch release has packed in and never had any problem, even driving through Cities. Getting one out of a linear parking space was a bit hairy but no way was I walking home.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom