E220CDI or E320CDI?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

Car
W210 320CDI
Advice please - E220CDI or E320CDI?

After a couple of years away, I'm seriously contemplating a return. My frugal Astra is too small for my needs and I'm missing the E.

My last MB was a 2001 E220 CDI Avantgarde (auto) in that dirty chrome colour. ;) This time I'm considering the same model (W210) but with the larger engine.

I've got a few questions, which hopefully will help me make the right choice. I was happy with the 220 before, but do like the idea of the torque of the 320.

So, are there any reliability issues with these as they get older, specifically any difference between them in terms of maintenance costs and complexity?

How are MBUK handling the Mobilo Life corrosion warranty these days? When I had my car repaired I found the service of my local agent very poor and was so disgusted with the work that I sold the car rather than put up with a Smart for another month while they rectified it (if indeed they would). Ideally, I'd go for something with a flawless MB history, but I remember reading that indy stamps were starting to be accepted as satisfactory proof of maintenance.

There was quite a bit of talk a couple of years back of rust in spring seats, which would prove difficult to repair - has this been well founded, or is it as uncommon as it sounded it should be?

The other option is to go the other way and maintain it myself, but I have all the diagnostic kit for Vauxhalls (Tech1 and Tech2) and no likelyhood of ever affording the Star Diagnosis kit. So how easy is it these days to faultfind, diagnose and repair these modern Mercedes?

I'm considering cars that are 2000 on (mainly for the many extra toys), around 100k miles and up to £7k, am I likely to find a good automatic for that money?

Thanks for your time,

Ian.

Last edited:
All I can say is we bought our Feb '04 E320 in Nov '07 and 'What a car' the power is really special, fuel consumption is on a par (a little better) than our C250td.

We've had no troubles yet (hoping for none), but I'd say its no contest, get the E320 if you can.

Cheers

:)

I had an E220 CDi for a loan car, I know it was new, but I was very impressed with the performance. I have a feeling they increased the power some years back, but don't know when. I do know that the new E220 puts out the same BHP as the old E300 Turbo diesels, about 170BHP

I keep saying I'm not going to bite but each time I swallow the bait :eek: :eek:

Mobilo is a take it or leave it consumer choice. You either take it and accept the terms and conditions or leave it and take pot luck. There has never been a separate corrosion warranty and I doubt there ever will. If you want Mobilo cover then go for it, if you don't then that's also fine.

I do wonder at what age any goodwill repairs will cease as we are now talking about folks buying an eight year old car and holding the manufacturer responsible for anycorrosion issues?

Regards
John

The 320CDI is the clear winner, go for it if your happy with any bodywork issues

5 - 1

In 2006 I went from an E220 CDI to the new V6 E280CDI.
To be honest the reason I changed was for the increased refinement of the larger engine and to avoid those external 'taxi' noises.
The 220 is the car you need, the 320 is the car you want. My journey times are still traffic, not car performance related but I have paid for the privilege at the pumps. Given you are looking at a used car then I assume budgets must come into the equation and fuel prices don't seem to go down,
what price extra power and (mostly external) refinement?:confused:

I would guess the difference between the 220 and 320 CDI in fuel performance would be round about the 2mpg? I don't have figures for the 210 series as the 220 was not an option for the year 2000 estate car.

regards
John

5 - 1

I do wonder at what age any goodwill repairs will cease as we are now talking about folks buying an eight year old car and holding the manufacturer responsible for anycorrosion issues?

Thats a valid point but you dont expect any car nowadays to rust like a 1970's Alfa.

If MB wont accept rust claims as the cars do pass 8 years i guess they are saying they only expect their cars to last that long and therefore any cars over that age are worthless. Its not the mistake of the buyer but the mistake of the manufacturer that the cars rust in the first place.

If you issue a 30yr warranty you should stand by it imo or its a waste of paper.

Thats a valid point but you dont expect any car nowadays to rust like a 1970's Alfa.

If MB wont accept rust claims as the cars do pass 8 years i guess they are saying they only expect their cars to last that long and therefore any cars over that age are worthless. .
Given that Bentley's, BMW and no doubt numerous other marque's have some sort of problem then are we being fair? I am NOT defending Mercedes-Benz but an eight year old car still the responsibility of the manufacturer? Two years ago I read about a Bentley just over three years old with huge corrosion issues in the floor pan. It cost the owner thousands of pounds to repair. On this forum we have read about BMW's with rust issues none of which are being repaired free by the manufacturer.

I would be very grateful if you could post a link to a genuine claim made against Mobilo that has been turned down. I have used the service on a number of occasions and have absolutely nothing but praise for it. I do however have little time for those that attempt to try and cherry pick, or extract sections of a single warranty that suits their own needs and then claim it is a corrosion only warranty.

The 220 is a nice engine but that engine cannot be compared to the straight six 320CDI and when we see that there is less 2 miles per gallon in the fuel consumption then providing we can afford the car with the bigger engine we should rush out and buy the 320:devil: ;) I'm biased though.

REgards
John

5 - 1

On this forum we have read about BMW's with rust issues none of which are being repaired free by the manufacturer.
BMW do repair cars, I've seen a car have a new bootlid as a result of seam corrosion. Less hassle than getting a claim through Mercedes.
I would be very grateful if you could post a link to a genuine claim made against Mobilo that has been turned down.
There haven't been any Mobilo-life corrosion claims, Mercedes are determined there won't be any. They have all been covered under hte goodwill scheme.
The 220 is a nice engine but that engine cannot be compared to the straight six 320CDI and when we see that there is less 2 miles per gallon in the fuel consumption then providing we can afford the car with the bigger engine we should rush out and buy the 320:devil: ;) I'm biased though.

I'd probably go for the 320 for additional performance and refinement, though economy will be worse when cruising.
The 220 came in two power ratings in the W210 car. Early ones were 128Bhp, later ones 143Bhp as a result of higher injection pressure.

Is 2 mpg a qualified figure? Just asking.

320 CDi - I am in the market for a W211 320 CDi as well...

Is 2 mpg a qualified figure? Just asking.
Hi Will,
I made sure I mentioned I did not have the W210 figures but yes, the 2mpg is actually a very fair observation, very slightly in favour of the 220.

The actual quoted figures for the 211 estate are:

City 28.8 320CDI 27.7

EUDC 47.9 320CDI 45.6

Overall

38.7 320CDI 37.2

The figures for the 220 are with a like for like automatic transmission otherwise the three figures for a manual 220 are:

29.1, 49.6 and 39.2

0 - 62.5mph 11.1 320CDI 8.2 :devil: :)

Manual 220CDI 10.6

The S210 320CDI figures
City 25.0, EUDC 47.9, Overall 35.8 and 0 - 62.5 8.8 seconds whewww!

There is a marked difference between the 210 and 211 but hopefully the difference will be uniform for both engines (question) :)

Regards
John

5 - 1

Only you know what you intend using the car for. It it's for long distance work then the E320CDI has a lot going for it.

John quoted the 0-60 figures above but you should also bear in mind the mid-range overtaking abilities. IMHO, the 320CDI is awesome in this area.

320CDi. Because you know it makes sense! Larger diesel engines are rarely much less frugal than their smaller counterparts, and it cuts down the annoyance and jerkiness of always kicking the @rse out of the turbo...

Given that Bentley's, BMW and no doubt numerous other marque's have some sort of problem then are we being fair?

do they have 30 year corrosion warranties though??

you cant sell a car with that kind of warranty and then say you wont warrant a claim on an 8 year old car.

I can't argue with the official figures of 4 and 6 cylinder E class estates, but my own experience changing from E220 to E280 has averaged a 10mpg drop using and driving the cars the same way.
My best with a E220 was 60 mpg and 47mpg with the E280. Averages 50mpg with a 220 and 40mpg with a 6 cylinder car.
Just my 2p's worth, but you trade power and refinement for frugality.
Me? I have gone with the power!:D

We have a 4-cyl Audi A4 TDi which is fairly nippy (110 bhp) but not very refined. Our Vito (with the V6 CDI) is like a limo in comparison ... very quiet and smooth. And quick :)

I can't argue with the official figures of 4 and 6 cylinder E class estates, but my own experience changing from E220 to E280 has averaged a 10mpg drop using and driving the cars the same way.
My best with a E220 was 60 mpg and 47mpg with the E280. Averages 50mpg with a 220 and 40mpg with a 6 cylinder car.
Was yours the chipped 280CDI and of course is it the V6 3ltr engine which is a completely different beast to the older straight six?

REgards
John

I went the other way, from an W210 E280 to an W211 E 320 CDI.

The result was more mpg, more mid-range torque and power and a much improved performance all round.

FWIW real world figures for my W210 E320 CDI E class is 34.5mpg average over 1000's of miles ie when i can be bothered to reset the figures so thats a winter and summer average

Trip readouts can vary to 27-29mpg shorts trips/round town to 37-40mpg on a decent motorway trip i rarely get over 40mpg but my wife gets more mpg out of the car than i do.

Mine is chipped but actually gave less mpg prior to chipping average was 33.5mpg but the car had only done 20-30,000miles so may well have still been a little tight. I also have 235 tyres and a pretty high spec so my car may well be heavier than most

Of course everyones driving style is slightly different and few people use their cars the same way but i've had my car 7 years this year and it doesnt seem to alter much year on year.

E320CDI. The E is a big car and needs that bigger engine. Release the beast from within. :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom