E220CDI vs E250D/E300D W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedes lover

Car
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
Hi, it's been a long time since I posted on here as haven't had a mercedes for a few years. Wanted some advice, I have a 03 plate Mondeo TDCI, looks like the injectors have gone as has a cutting out fault and being common rail the injectors are over £1000 to be renewed and have some other faults.

Anyway I am thinking about buying an old E cless diesel W210 as I've always liked them. What I wanted to know is, buying an old one and looking at spending around £1000, would I be better going for a E250D or E300D as they have no turbo and less to go wrong, I know they're a bit slow. I have seen a few E220CDI's but am a little worried as these common rail's seem very expensive to repair.

I know there are plenty of people on here that know much more about diesels than me and will know what's my best bet. I did speak to a mechanic a few years back and he said the old non turbo diesels on the mercedes have very little to go wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I owned a w210 300td estate for a few years. Had very little issues with the engine etc but had a real battle at trying to keep the body rust free. In the end l had to sell it, just got to expensive in body repairs. Great car, but all are prone to rust l'm afraid.

If you mean 210 the E class from 1996+ then IIRC the 300's are all Turbo diesel Check out the Honest John car by car review you will get engine options and model history
as far as i know the 300TD in the 210 range is pretty reliable and probably main thing to look for is Rust front spring perches , crossmember
Top / Bottom oif doors ( peel back rubbers) If you mean the W124 Then these are non turbo and extremely reliable especially the Diesel It will be hard to find a non starship mileage one clean and low mileage make extremely good money .

I looked and thought they did a W210 E300Diesel that were non turbo 136bhp from October 1995 to January 1997 and then they brought out E300TD from January 1997 with 177bhp.

I looked on another forum which says they put the 300 non turbo diesel from the E class W124 in the W210 but only to the end of 1996. So would this be a good bet if I could get one at a good price?

Thanks for the rust advice, thats the same problem my old neighbour had with his E240, wheel arches rusted up really badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom