E220CDi W211 Tyre options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damoe

Car
E Class
Hi
I have a last of the W211 cars and when I bought it ~27k miles ago the dealer had put on a pair of cheap tyres on the rear. There was also a pair of Pirelli on the front (I think P7). The rears are almost out of tread and, to be honest, the fronts aren't far behind. So I'm looking for some thoughts on what tyres to go for - reasonably half decent ones. I was in a tyre place today and they were advising Kumho's? I'm wondering what's best out there.

Any and all input gratefully received.
Tyre size is 225/55R16, which is not one of the more common sizes, so subsequently prices seem to be a bit high?

I've just put new boots on my trusty old W211 E220, Pirelli P7 225/55/W16, just over a hundred quid per corner.

A good mate of mine has khumos on his c220 estate and they're absolutely fine.

From experience never go with what the tyre place advise its probably the one with the biggest mark up! haha (Unless of course you get 3rd party verification!)

Just put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on the rear of my CLS, very impressed!

If u got 27k from a pair . id go with the same ..

Cheers.

My car seems to have tyre pressure monitoring...?? I'm trying to understand how this works - I've read that it can be linked to the speed sensors on the ABS (rather than actually having pressure sensors in each wheel).
Can anyone shed any light as I'm a little tempted to buy a second set of alloys (there's a few Mercedes options on Gumtree at present), and put on a set of winter tyres, then summer tyres on the original alloy wheels.
Also if I do do that should I go for a 205/60/16 fitment for the winter tyres, as that seems to be an option?

Thanks in advance.
D.

They usually use the abs sensors to measure rolling circumference. Theres no pressure sensor as such.

So sticking new wheels is no bother.

MB used speed sensor related TPMS very shortly tyre sensors are more common. But you can see if you have sensing units in your current wheels.

OP: check that 60 profil tyres has high enough load index. I used 215/55/16 winter tyres in my W211.

I fitted Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 225/55 R16 to my S211 after reading reviews (see www.tyrereviews.co.uk) and comparing prices.
They gave great grip in wet & dry, good economy, quiet and were lasting well when I sold the car.

I have since fitted them to my S212 (same size) based on that experience and just done about 8,000 miles -- all good so far so I can recommend them.

I have now just fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 3 to my C Class -- they were on a great deal. Their focus seems to be wet grip and probably wear isn't great -- I don't do big mileage so that isn't critical. Others on here have fitted them and seem to be impressed.
I previously had great experiences with the old Rainsport 2 and thought I would try these.
They are only on a week or so -- they seem to be good -- smooth and quiet but I don't know about economy or wet / dry grip yet.
They replaced a budget brand tyre that was on the car when I bought it -- they were very poor in every way except wear -- they just wouldn't wear out -- I got rid of them when they were just half worn.

Last edited:
OK I bought two Kumho KH31 ECSTA last week and fitted to the rear. Seems to still be able to get the back end moving, although to be fair that could be a combination of new rubber and the roads still being pretty greasy at this time of the year. Maybe they'll improve as the weather changes, and it gets warmer.
It makes me think that if I put a matching two onto the front, I'll be needing to invest in a second set of alloys and some proper winter tyres further down the road.

Update on this - I got ~14k out of the Kumho's on the rear which, to be honest, I wasn't very impressed with at all. So I changed those again last year for a set of Bridgestone Turanza on the rear. After <11,000 miles they are shot :mad:.
Does anyone have any good advice for a long lasting set of rear tyres for my car?:confused:
I'm currently tempted to put a cheap pair on @ ~£60-65 a tyre.:eek:.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
D

Update on this - I got ~14k out of the Kumho's on the rear which, to be honest, I wasn't very impressed with at all. So I changed those again last year for a set of Bridgestone Turanza on the rear. After <11,000 miles they are shot :mad:.
Does anyone have any good advice for a long lasting set of rear tyres for my car?:confused:
I'm currently tempted to put a cheap pair on @ ~£60-65 a tyre.:eek:.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
D

Gotta be Michelin if you want mileage.

I've done well over 200k miles in my E220 and tried a few different tyres. I think the car drives best on Continental premium Contact 2 tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom