E220d (S213) Towbar failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BfgSLKMan

North Germany and Sometimes South Germany
Car
S213 220d AMG Line (his) and A238 220d AMG Line (hers)
My 220d estate is now just shy of 3 years old and the factory fitted towbar has stopped working (fortunately it was deployed as it broke on arrival at the campsite!). Long story short, but Mercedes here in Germany have said i need a new bar (about €1200 fitted). The issue is that something has broken inside so it wont respond to the button and it is definitely not electrical or control box related. As MB they don't sell any spare parts (only the complete bar) and ORIS (who make it) have said they can't talk to me about the towbar due to contractual issues with Mercedes [i have read similar comments on BMW and VW forums where people have reported similar things) and since the car was UK supplied by MB Corporate UK (and still UK registered car) i shall write to MB UK and politely ask for at least a good will payment. Before i do, are any dealers or similar who are members of the forum know if this is a widely reported fault or indeed if there is any form of service recall for this? Thanks.

My 220d estate is now just shy of 3 years old and the factory fitted towbar has stopped working (fortunately it was deployed as it broke on arrival at the campsite!). Long story short, but Mercedes here in Germany have said i need a new bar (about €1200 fitted). The issue is that something has broken inside so it wont respond to the button and it is definitely not electrical or control box related. As MB they don't sell any spare parts (only the complete bar) and ORIS (who make it) have said they can't talk to me about the towbar due to contractual issues with Mercedes [i have read similar comments on BMW and VW forums where people have reported similar things) and since the car was UK supplied by MB Corporate UK (and still UK registered car) i shall write to MB UK and politely ask for at least a good will payment. Before i do, are any dealers or similar who are members of the forum know if this is a widely reported fault or indeed if there is any form of service recall for this? Thanks.
Definitely not common. I haven't seen a failure of an MB-fitted towbar on any of the forums I'm on. Should be covered by UK warranty. though. How this works in Germany is a new one though.

Ernie

Does it make any noise?
Or just not responding to deploy?

Does it make any noise?
Or just not responding to deploy?
So when you pull the button you here it click about 3 times over 5 secs and then it stops. The dealer is really helpful and they have confirmed (as i guessed) it was not electrical (else there would be no power to the motor) so clearly something has broken inside. Interestingly after a bit of research the A/B/CLA/GLA with the same towbar were recalled (Mar to Nov 18 build) do to a mechanical failure of the locking pin in the swivel bar. I am keeping that up my sleeve for the moment, but also know a number of VW/Audi cars have had the same problem (and been recalled) and ORIS is the OE supplier in all of these cases.

I'll keep you updated as I get news back from the Customer Centre...

So when you pull the button you here it click about 3 times over 5 secs and then it stops. The dealer is really helpful and they have confirmed (as i guessed) it was not electrical (else there would be no power to the motor) so clearly something has broken inside. Interestingly after a bit of research the A/B/CLA/GLA with the same towbar were recalled (Mar to Nov 18 build) do to a mechanical failure of the locking pin in the swivel bar. I am keeping that up my sleeve for the moment, but also know a number of VW/Audi cars have had the same problem (and been recalled) and ORIS is the OE supplier in all of these cases.

I'll keep you updated as I get news back from the Customer Centre...
My Gle does it sometimes, I start the car and drive it, try it again and it works.

Sadly mine is well and truely knackered, i have tried to move it every now and again but no joy. Since coming back from the garage the red warning light is more on in the dashboard. Fingers crossed for the right results from Mercedes UK....

Hi Yes. It turns out that as mine is a UK car it has a 3 year waarranty and is covered albeit that as it was in year three I had to pay the bill and then send the receipt to MB UK (as the car was abroad). It was a bit convoluted in the end but I phone MB Corporate (the originally supplier for the car to the supplting dealer) and they were really helpful. Sadly their dealer was a bit slow releasing funds but it was sorted. To date all is OK.

The dealer in Germany who fitted the new towbar let me keep the old one (as for him it wsn't warranty work) and I stripped it down. I think that a locking pin in the ratchet mechanism failed inside the swivelling part. Either way it was lucky it failed when it did (3 months before warrany expiration) else I would have had an €1850 for the new unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom