E240 98 refuses to go above 20mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pal_7

I have a 1998 E240 that I've now owned for 4 years and 45,000m. It has done 92,000 miles in total. Never had a problem with the car till now.

I went on a 3 week holiday and came back and drove the car once and it drove fine. I left it for a week since it didn't have an MOT. The next time I drove it, it refused to go above 20mph. I drove it around for about 5-6 miles and then left it back at home. 4-5 hours later I started it again and it refused to go above 20mph for about a mile, then sputtered a bit and just picked up and drove absolutely fine. Since then it's been very erratic. Sometimes it drives ok, but mostly it doesn't do above 20mph. This is especially in the first few miles. A lot of times it picks up and then is fine.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is? The last time it wouldn't go above 20-30 mph even after 3-4 miles and I just gave up and parked it back. now I'm driving my wife's Peugeot :( (hate it!)

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

This is probably a flipant answer but you dont have the speed limiter on?? :devil:

Nope, the speed limiter is definitely off. As is confirmed by the fact that sometimes it just picks up and drives fine. But that is now becoming a rare occurence.

Oh, and the automatic gearbox had become ever so slightly jerky over the past few months. Especially when I accelerate hard. It used to be really smooth. The car has been serviced regularly.

Mass Airflow Sensor.

Came symptoms as mine had (and around the same mileage! Hmm...)

Not cheap - expect around £300. But it will be like driving a new car once replaced!

Get it to a dealer or indie and have it diagnosed properly, but my money is the Mass Airflow Sensor.

Thanks for that Greg. Will take it to a Bosch specialty garage near home (Langley Autocraft in Kings Langley near Watford). I just hope I can reach there without having to get it towed!). Will report back what happens.

It may not be the Air mass sensor. Best way to check is if you disconnect the sensor the car should drive ok, it may just hunt to try and idle itself but you won't get the 20 mph prob.

The last time i knew of a prob like yours, ended up being a gearbox failure resulting in the car going into a limp mode. Hopefully it won't be this.

KLP 92, if it is a gearbox problem, is it possible that it sometimes still drives fine - with minor occassional jerks when it changes gear?

pal_7 said:
KLP 92, if it is a gearbox problem, is it possible that it sometimes still drives fine - with minor occassional jerks when it changes gear?

Not really, the gearchanges should be harsh, i would take the car to a garage with diagnostics. It will take them a few secs to tell you the prob.

Update on progress

Took it to Langley Autocraft in the morning. The car drove without any problems to the garage! Typical isn't it (though I did leave it started and idling for 20 minutes before I drove it in the morning!).

Langley just called and told me they put it through the diagnostics. It seems it's come up with 10 errors! :eek: They are going to go through them and let me know what the problem is. Won't be able to do it till tomorrow :mad:

Mass Airflow Sensor it was! Cost me £317. I was quoted £390 by the garage but negotiated it down thanks to the benchmark price you had given. :)

Thanks for all the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom