E240 Buying Advice Needed Urgently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E CLASS

I am looking at an:

1999 V E240 Est Avantgarde in silver / black leather

Many extras and 7 seats

What do I need to look for?

- Rust definitely!

What sort of price would be fair for a clean well presented car with a good history and low owners?

Many thanks all.

Have you considered the similar powered, and cheaper to maintain E200 Kompressor?

No I haven't tbh.

I have been considering a replacement for my trusty Volvo 850 Est which we have had 6 years - use the Volvo forums too very helpful they are too hence why I posted here.

Thing is I may be able to get this 2 owner car for under £2.5k - been well maintained by all accounts and no reported problems.

Would the 200K be a more expensive to buy option?

Cheers and thanks for your reply.

Check when the spark plugs were last renewed there's 12 of them and some are difficult to get at. This might be a good indicator of how well the car's been looked after. Rear self levelling suspension system operation ,and rear self closing door mechanism.

The 200 k will give the same mpg as the 240 , it will be a 2.4 litre , the engine size grew to 2.6 in 00 .unless your from Ireland where road tax would be an issue I would go for the 240 . The main prob will be rust and transmission , check that it has been serviced .

You need to check the service history. If the gear box oil and filter has not been changed, which is possible, (common)then it needs to be done,

8-9 litres of oil, filter and sump gasket at MB spec will cost £110 for parts alone, so you need to take this into consideration.

Make sure you can find proof of this having been done at around 50k miles or above.

Last edited:
Gen trans filters and gaskets on e-bay £20:D

Oils on there to.

Agree with shorty trans and rust.

Lynall

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone.

tbh I was so very dissappointed with what I saw at the weekend.

Being sold by the "horsey set", very nice sellers just no clue about cars.

V plate E240 Est - 136k

Service history lost - but could be got from local Merc dealer
Bonnet catch opened by set of pliers...
Flat battery
Holed bodywork under CD changer in boot
Both front wings rusty
Other rust patches round car
Wheels scabby
Tyres cheap unknown budgets with good tread
1 yr MOT

Compared to my current Volvo 850 est (owned six years) which runs like a dream with no rust whatsoever and 150k there was no comparison.

I am afraid to say that will be the last W210 car we will look at (we had seen some others but was quite excited about this one).

W210's are rust buckets... but usually run really well. You just saw a neglected example.

Have you tried the last of the W124's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom