e240 Check engine Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamG

Car
W210 E240 yr 2000 (stolen), W220 S320CDI (2003)
Hi,

Should yr 2000 e240's have a check engine light? The manual states that it should illuminate when the ignition is turned on then extinguish once it is running.

I took the dials out of mine and there was no lamp/bulb present and piece of sticky paper in its place. Also the lens has no etching on it as if it is supposed to be unused?

The reason I ask is I'm having trouble I believe with the auto gearbox. If I floor it for the kick down it lacks power and only revs to 4000 rpm. Once this happens the idle goes very lumpy as if only firing on a couple of cylinders. This state remains until I turn the engine on and off.

Things I've tried so far:

Change MAF (Pierburg)
Change spark plugs and leads
Change engine oil
Change air filter
Change ATF and filter (genuine parts)

The old ATF smelt burnt when I removed it and now the new stuff smells the same although I could not change it all (no torque converter drain)

Any advce appreciated

Thanks

Adam

Hi,

Should yr 2000 e240's have a check engine light? The manual states that it should illuminate when the ignition is turned on then extinguish once it is running.

I don't think that there is a specific light, however if a problem occurs, a message will appear in the centre LCD panel in the dash cluster.

As for what is wrong, if possible have an indie read any fault codes. If you let us know what area you live in, people will recommend a few. For belt and braces, unplug the MAF, and drive to rule it out (even though it is new).

Possibly a crankshaft sensor )relatively common on the 112 engines).

Regards

Richard

thanks for the reply. I believe the previous owner changed the crankshaft sensor but I have no proof of that. Also I have tried unplugging the maf and it behaved exactly the same.

I'm in Bromley (greater london/ Kent) I would be grateful of a recomendation. I tried a local indie in biggin hill and we was awful. He mumble something about a overfueling problem and suggested a new MAF which I did myself as he wanted £300 to do the job!

Cheers

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom