E240 or E270Cdi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
The choice has come down to either of these two.
The 240 petrol is about 1000 cheaper since it has the autobox as standard. Its depreciation is higher but only by 2.5% over 3 years.
I do about 8000 miles per year and don;t think diesel will be any more cheaper. The performance between the two is about the same 8.4 s to 8.9 s to 60mph and 177bhp approx.
With the issue of 5 cyls vs 6 cyl or V6 the 240 has 6 cyls.
The noise issue with not be a problem with 240.

Maybe will find it difficult to shift 240 than 270CDi when i come to sell it in 3 years thus higher depreciation.

E220 is reasonable but is under powered and is only about 1400 less than 270Cdi which offers best performance:cost ratio of all diesels in the range as mentioned by whatcar.

E200 is cheaper however i dont think 1,8 is enough for a heavy E class.

So it comes down to 240 or 270cdi? the 320 is out of my budget.

Which one makes sense,

Have you test driven both? When I first test drove the new E class they only had a E240 demonstrator as the car had just been launched. I was very disappointed, the car felt sluggish and very heavy, it nearly put me off the car completely.

I then test drove the E270 10 days later and it felt so different, the acceleration was effortless, and the car felt nimble and not its size at all. It was an easy decision for me! Even without the fuel economy benefit and depreciation I'd have gone for the E270.

I think the only way to tell is to drive both a decent distance, not just round the block.

Last edited:
I see what you mean Richard.

I have test driven the E270CDi and also wanted to test the 220CDI but they didn't have that so they demonstrated the C220cdi which has same engine.

I must admit I was very impressed with the turbine feel of the engine and the quiet diesel. I just that the issue about the 5 cyl and 6 cyl thing. But then again What car does not rate the e240 as it claims it lacks punch...something you found Richard.

The thing is I'm on a budget I have to finance it privately...probably cash if I can't get a low interest loan. which basically means I'll have to dig deep.

When is best time to buy, now or after Xmas maybe 04 plate.
what is the lowest price I can get away with...are discounts likely now that the new 5 series is about so people have a choice. Not that the new 5 is a very good alternative to the E.

Has anyone a E200, how is it on performance with the 4 cyl?

Thanks for you comments,

the new E200 kompressor is supposed to be good. i think. 0-62 was 9.8 secs i think.....but nowhere near as good as an E270 CDI's 8.9 (i think thats right)

Originally posted by akmal17
the new E200 kompressor is supposed to be good. i think. 0-62 was 9.8 secs i think.....but nowhere near as good as an E270 CDI's 8.9 (i think thats right)

That's for the manual, 8.4 for the auto.

Has anyone a E200, how is it on performance with the 4 cyl

I'm due delivery of my new E200K within the next week or so:bannana:

I'll let you know what it's like........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom