E250 - Alloy Wheel Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skybluesjv

Car
E Class 250
Hello All,

First time poster. A colleague at work who is a car fanatic suggested I join this forum. Please forgive if I do/say anything I shouldn’t.

I recently purchased a 2014 E250 coupe and I absolutely love it. The concern I have is with the alloy wheels. The previous owner has put 19” wheels from a 2018 e class. He also said he needed to use spacers. Whilst they look fantastic they often scuff the arch even when going over the slightest bump.

The wheels stick out slightly which again look great but the outer tyre is wearing away more from where it’s catching the arch and the paint is also coming away from the arch.

It’s recently passed its MOT so I’m assuming they’re road legal but I’m still concerned. I’ve seen from other cars for sale that it’s possible to have 20” alloys on this vehicle so why are the 19” catching? Why are spacers used?

I think it may be better to sell these wheels and replace with something else. I really like the multispoke ones but not sure what size I can get.

I’ve attached an image of my current wheels and would really welcome your expert opinions.

Many Thanks,

John

Attachments

• 8C89DBF1-E993-45B1-B6BA-3D3046746701.jpeg
    8C89DBF1-E993-45B1-B6BA-3D3046746701.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 82154AE7-4E35-46D8-AE5E-A5AA982D63AC.jpeg
    82154AE7-4E35-46D8-AE5E-A5AA982D63AC.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 32
Quick search tells me fronts should be

235/35/19 and rears 255/30/19

The previous owner has probably put spacers on to bring the alloys towards the arch more most likely for visual enhancement.

Try correct tyres 1st

Quick search tells me fronts should be

235/35/19 and rears 255/30/19

The previous owner has probably put spacers on to bring the alloys towards the arch more most likely for visual enhancement.

Try correct tyres 1st
Hi BigJase88,

If the previous owner has in fact made this decision for visual enhancement would you be concerned? It’s not cheap to replace all four tyres.

The other thing to check is the offsets. The E Class Coupe is actually based on a C Class platform so the wheels may or may not be the same.

Go to a site like this Mercedes E-Class Coupe A207/C207 Alloy Wheels (2009-2016) | AlloyWheels.com

Then look at the options for 19's. These can be all the same with or staggered - ie wider at the back.

Once you've found your match look for the ET numbers - ie the correct offset.

You can check yours by taking them off and looking on the back of one of the spokes where you'll see "ET42" or whatever.

Hi BigJase88,

If the previous owner has in fact made this decision for visual enhancement would you be concerned? It’s not cheap to replace all four tyres.
The spacers would be for visual enhancement.

I know 4 tyres are not cheap but running the wrong tyres will be affecting your speedo reading so you will not see a correct reading on your dash.

You could retain the spacers if you change the tyre.

Changing the tyres would certainly be my 1st port of call

Also how wide are the spacers

The other thing to check is the offsets. The E Class Coupe is actually based on a C Class platform so the wheels may or may not be the same.

Go to a site like this Mercedes E-Class Coupe A207/C207 Alloy Wheels (2009-2016) | AlloyWheels.com

Then look at the options for 19's. These can be all the same with or staggered - ie wider at the back.

Once you've found your match look for the ET numbers - ie the correct offset.

You can check yours by taking them off and looking on the back of one of the spokes where you'll see "ET42" or whatever.
Amazing, cheers 😁 Most helpful.

I have recently changed all 4 wheels (not tyres) on my E400 Cab due to a cracked NSF.

I used Alloy Wheels Manchester (Stockport) which may be close to you.

They deal in alloys and Tyres and may be able to advise you on your best route.

Gave me great service.

They changed my alloys and put on the old (legal) tyres within an hour and a half and only charged me for the new alloys.

Regards
David

E class offsets are totally different to that of a coupe . You really need a whole new set up tbh.

Agreed , tyres are too big and those are not 19 inch wheels I have ever seen on a coupe.

As the previous owner went all Carlos Fandango with spacers instead of getting the correct wheels and tyres, I would double check it hasn't been lowered. It doesn't look like it has, but the incorrect tyres and wheels make it difficult to be sure.

Check the classifieds on here and of course eBay as wheels / wheels and tyres sets do come up.
You can then sell yours on to recoup a decent percentage.

How it is will impact handling, damage the tyres scuff the body work, affect turning and ultimately, blow outs have (according to t'internet) happened.....

They are great cars btw. I am on my second, which is a first (for me)

OP - most times the coupe wheels were different to the saloon/estate. Also the old and new generation cars can have different configurations.

They to me look like a new generation wheel on an old generation car. Which could work if somebody had/has checked the fitment.

Essentially, you need to work out
overall diameter​
overall width​
offset (this is the hardest bit and refers to how close or far away the inner part of the wheel sits from your other car components - not the strict definition.)​

Many on here will help crunch the data with this but you will need to supply the numbers from inside the rim. NOTE front and rear rims may be different sizes whilst somebody may have put on same size tyres.

Finally, "heads up" suspect this is a modified car in the eyes of some insurers.

Those wheels are from the 213 e class. On the petrol cap door you will have the tyre and wheel sizes for your car. Also in your handbook

More information required

Comparison of offsets 🧐

C207 on 19's is 44 all round on a 8.5 j rim .

The e250 coupe is actually a C class .

245 40 19 tyres are wrong for a coupe .

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220719-074431.png

You definitely need 4 new tyres on those rims . If they are of a suitable width.

Agreed , tyres are too big and those are not 19 inch wheels I have ever seen on a coupe.

As the previous owner went all Carlos Fandango with spacers instead of getting the correct wheels and tyres, I would double check it hasn't been lowered. It doesn't look like it has, but the incorrect tyres and wheels make it difficult to be sure.

Check the classifieds on here and of course eBay as wheels / wheels and tyres sets do come up.
You can then sell yours on to recoup a decent percentage.

How it is will impact handling, damage the tyres scuff the body work, affect turning and ultimately, blow outs have (according to t'internet) happened.....

They are great cars btw. I am on my second, which is a first (for me)
Thank you! Carlos Fandango 😂😂😂 You’ve all certainly helped and it’s obvious I need to make some changes.

Thank you! Carlos Fandango 😂😂😂 You’ve all certainly helped and it’s obvious I need to make some changes.
I wouldn't get all too concerned. The tyres are number 1 priority. The rims obviously do fit to an extent.

What width are the spacers are you able to measure them?

The wheels will work with the correct tyre / spacer combo so you don't need to look for new rims

I have recently changed all 4 wheels (not tyres) on my E400 Cab due to a cracked NSF.

I used Alloy Wheels Manchester (Stockport) which may be close to you.

They deal in alloys and Tyres and may be able to advise you on your best route.

Gave me great service.

They changed my alloys and put on the old (legal) tyres within an hour and a half and only charged me for the new alloys.

Regards
David
Cheers David. I went to see them today. What wheels did you go with out of interest? I was actually surprised at how affordable their wheels were so I’m now considering selling the official Merc ones I currently have on as a quick eBay search suggests I will actually be better off selling mine and buying some new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom