E250 fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Moving the cars own weight is the biggest MPG killer.

That's my experience exactly, especially with forced induction engines. There's no free lunch if the engine is asked to produce the levels of torque that forced induction makes them capable of.

For a petrol my C180K gets astonishingly good MPG at a steady cruise with 50MPG on the motorway easily obtained. With care and no traffic it will even do 50 mpg in open road driving but use a lot of acceleration or ask it to go up steep hills and the MPG plummets into the 30's.

I hate to apply the maths that that figure but to do that trip in 25 or 26 minutes means that you would have to average 96MPH !!??
The average speed for a F1 car around Silverstone is about 130MPH !! It is faster but not by that much.
What are you driving again and did you ever think of a career change ?

I really like this comment, literally today I wasn't in a very good mood but this comment really put a smile on my face.

The problem is, these cars are heavy, and if you want decent MPG with a heavy car you have to feather it.

I have had the same engine in the C Class as my E Class and even hooning it around the MPG is roughly 25% better. Drop down to an A Class and you will see 20% better again.
Moving the cars own weight is the biggest MPG killer.

Well yes you're right, that's why I've asked others of their experience but I'll do what people reckoned and will update you. I'll when weekend comes since I'm not using the car during weekdays.

652467d5efeaaff03e69a628b8c03211.jpg

My 12 mile mixed road daily commute, not driving like Miss Daisy, but not driving on the rev limiter either.
Around 55mpg on a long motorway drive.
S212 E250 remapped by Celtic tuning, 254bhp and 600nm/torque

Right, so as promised, I've been in a long trip over weekend. Please find picture attached. That includes town driving for around 30 minutes, two congestion on motorway for 15 minutes each roughly and the rest clear motorway, roughly at 70MPH.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190218-092735_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190218-092735_Gallery.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 33
Right, so as promised, I've been in a long trip over weekend. Please find picture attached. That includes town driving for around 30 minutes, two congestion on motorway for 15 minutes each roughly and the rest clear motorway, roughly at 70MPH.
Still less than I’d expect/get on mine

That's what I thought as well but a lot better than I've seen before. Anyone with a 62 or 13 plate car as mentioned above I believe this car has the solenoid injectors and this is why the consumption is higher than expected.

this kind of mpg and less I usually get. How many of you were in a car? Any luggage?

1ec12144d6fd91693d729a1897343503.jpg

North Wales into Liverpool, lots of stop start traffic, very happy.
E250 remapped to 254bhp and 600nm torque

These figures are awesome. I believe you're getting these figures because of remap. Otherwise, might anything be wrong with my car?
No remap here just a standard E250CDI estate. CowleyStJames runs a remaped one.
I don’t think anything is wrong with your car at all.

My E250 Cab is averaging 42.8 extra urban over 20k miles so far, so those figures are not out of the ordinary. Depends on what your mix of driving is.

The onboard computer is not that accurate and works in mysterious ways. I can do a journey in one direction where it starts in traffic and low mpg and then goes into fee flowing roads, but the mpg takes an age to rise and ony gets so far. The reverse journey starts with a high mpg and doesn't really drop at the other end. Same journey, same traffic etc, but can be 5-8 mog different on the onboard.

rim to rim calculations are the only way to get an accurate measurement. Did that for a while on mine and was getting 44.5 mpg extra urban over 5k miles.

I have an e250 cdi estate 2011
Just came from a long drive and got 48mpg over 113miles
i tend to get 48-53mpg depending on traffic on motorway
However i have a 59L tank, light comes on at 54litres and i cannot for the love of god get more than 450miles upto the light.
On the facelift w212 i know they have a coasting mode on the gearbox that improves mpg

Attachments

• 20220330_162251.jpg
    20220330_162251.jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 2
This is what I get when the car is loaded
View media item 7316View media item 7294
I haven't read all the thread and would expect within the pages somewhere there will be suggestion that your car is suffering with the London driving.

Your EGR and inlet manifold may well be coked up, and not breathing properly.
But at least the engine is getting up to temperature swiftly.
An Italian tune up wont shift heavy build up. But until you've driven it more spiritedly for a couple of thousand miles I wouldn't expect improvements.

Did you get any ash content figures for the DPF. That may have become restricted.

My EGR at 135k miles

Attachments

• 20220310_132658.jpg
    20220310_132658.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom