E250 no kick down now cured itself?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Hello all,

Well today the trusty S212 threw its first wobbly on the way back from the Netherlands. I’ll book it in to have any codes read but wanted to ask the learned collective for any ideas what the issue could be/could have been in case I can investigate over the weekend.

So I filled up with Shell normal diesel in Belgium - I don’t think this is relevant but the issue was first noticeable after filling up…could be a coincidence I guess.

I noticed the gear changes became slightly erratic, changing up much later, say 3k rpm and it wouldn’t change into 7th. I could still change through all the gears using the flappy paddles. The rev counter also seemed to behave slightly strange, with a very slight press on the accelerator the revs would jump from say 2k rpm to 2.k with no real corresponding jump in engine sound. It also seemed to be down on power.

After a short while of nursing it along the engine light came on.

I tried stopping and starting with no change.

When we got off the euro tunnel it seemed to behave as normal with gear changes as normal and it kicks down. The engine light is still on.

I read on the forum it could be an air leak but I’m sure it wouldn’t be able to “fix itself” if that were the case, same with a possible transmission fluid leak. I did go over a quite aggressive speed bump earlier today which scraped the bottom, only gently as I was going very slow, but did wonder if that could have caused a trans fluid leak or something, but again don’t see how that could be the case if it’s now working as normal

Any ideas?

Hello all,

Well today the trusty S212 threw its first wobbly on the way back from the Netherlands. I’ll book it in to have any codes read but wanted to ask the learned collective for any ideas what the issue could be/could have been in case I can investigate over the weekend.

So I filled up with Shell normal diesel in Belgium - I don’t think this is relevant but the issue was first noticeable after filling up…could be a coincidence I guess.

I noticed the gear changes became slightly erratic, changing up much later, say 3k rpm and it wouldn’t change into 7th. I could still change through all the gears using the flappy paddles. The rev counter also seemed to behave slightly strange, with a very slight press on the accelerator the revs would jump from say 2k rpm to 2.k with no real corresponding jump in engine sound. It also seemed to be down on power.

After a short while of nursing it along the engine light came on.

I tried stopping and starting with no change.

When we got off the euro tunnel it seemed to behave as normal with gear changes as normal and it kicks down. The engine light is still on.

I read on the forum it could be an air leak but I’m sure it wouldn’t be able to “fix itself” if that were the case, same with a possible transmission fluid leak. I did go over a quite aggressive speed bump earlier today which scraped the bottom, only gently as I was going very slow, but did wonder if that could have caused a trans fluid leak or something, but again don’t see how that could be the case if it’s now working as normal

Any ideas?
Just a bit of an update on this. I tried a gearbox reset and the the engine light eventually went out and it's been behaving perfectly fine since. So ive left it alone! When it next goes to the garage i'll see if there are any fault codes stored. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom