E250, pleasantly surprised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
Been looking at a new car today insisting I want an E350 estate to replace my E320 S211. However I agreed a test drive in an E250 and was surprised at how quiet, comfortable and quick it was so now I'm widening my search. Anyone gone down to an E250? What's the change like?

Mind you I wasn't impressed in the trade in offered on my well specced 35k car

Stick with the 211.

Far better 'all round' car imho.

Wait for the facelift to arrive and try that, they have sorted the naff steering apparently, and softened the suspension while making it more dynamic.

Well you can try an old trick I use and intend to use when I go to do a deal.

log on to webuyanycar.com and get a valuation (fairly and honestly approasing condition) on your car.

Then run the same check on the car you intend to buy.

When the dealer tells you the old sob story about we buy any car valuations being significantly over that which it is really worth,,,,

Ask one question, are you saying We buy,,, significantly overvalue cars? then shut up.
He will say no doubt YES!! its all a massive scam etc etc etc,,,

Casually pull out a print off on the exact car you are looking at. I guarantee the selling price will be significantly higher on the car you want to buy.

Then, Mr salesman your car is massively overvalued. Lets settle on a fair trade in value right now, and get you another sale marked on the board with an "accurate" trade in value :) No-one expects you to be so thorough but if the car is online you can generally obtain the reg no and mileage from the adverts,,,

Trust me, this tactic is hysterical and worked for me twice recently. I got a decent trade in on my wifes car.

Twin turbo powerunit in them there 4 pots - fab shove from no revs.

We went from a 320cdi (2004 model) to a 250cdi 212 (2011 model) and it's a far better car all-round imho. I didn't experience the seating problems Gizzie has reported eslewhere. The way the rear seats fold, the 7 spd auto, the headlights (Avtgde), the handling etc just feel better. Just as quick and far more economical. Better designed generally. So far more reliable. Just as refined except at idle and plenty of overtaking poke. But i usually drive quite sluggishly so others here may give you a different PoV on refinement if you work the engine hard.

On the debit side my wife & daughters preferred the older car, bless em:mad:. More character somehow. And as I think Gizzie also said somewhere else, the more modern feel doesn't seem quite as solid.

Two regrets - first, it has the smaller tank. So the range benefit is all but negated. Second, it has the tints on rear windows. Far too dark making it, in my view, look a bit prattish for a family wagon.

Hope that helps, Ash

Ash, window tints look great. Give it a look that you chose the car, not your 2.4 kids and Labrador called Rex picked it.

Seating. I noticed giZzes observations but if you are built differently or sit differently you may be ok

Been looking at a new car today insisting I want an E350 estate to replace my E320 S211. However I agreed a test drive in an E250 and was surprised at how quiet, comfortable and quick it was so now I'm widening my search. Anyone gone down to an E250? What's the change like?

I had an E350CDi as a courtesy car but I approched it from the front and didn't see the boot badge and I'm certain the paperwork said it was a 250.

I thought it went OK, and a bit gruff but not bad for a 4cyl. Was gobsmacked when I got home, and popped the bonnet for a gander, to see a V6 in there!

I had an E350CDi as a courtesy car but I approched it from the front and didn't see the boot badge and I'm certain the paperwork said it was a 250.

I thought it went OK, and a bit gruff but not bad for a 4cyl. Was gobsmacked when I got home, and popped the bonnet for a gander, to see a V6 in there!

Funny that - I've done exactly the same :eek:.

Nothing like my silky V6 S211.

The newer engines aren't as refined. Faster though ;)

Yep - 265bhp vs 231bhp.

Good job I'm at 272bhp then ;).

Refined and fast.

Four pots don't suit the E-Class, stick to the V6.

I had a 2011 W212 E350 V6 CDi for about a month and living with it day-to-day became tedious, the interior feels cheap and hard plasticky, you've got nowhere to put your right elbow when you're on a long journey; the top of the door card is too high and the arm rest bit is too low.

On the plus side though, it was very quiet inside and I really liked the dash graphics and the engine and gearbox, as ever, is sublime.

If you have the money buy the V6. The OM651's are rattly old lumps except under a light throttle. :(

Last edited:
Personally I think the 250cdi is the better engine. More efficient and with a remap far quicker than a stock 350.. The 4 cyl 212 seem to benefit from the lower weight over the front axle in handling terms.

Not hugely keen on the seats personally but everyone is different.

SPX & REDBARON.
I agree with both your posts on part. The drive, quietness and ride were very good with a pleasant acceleration punch however the interior, especially the full dashboard seemed very bland and very BMWish

Harrythedog said:
SPX & REDBARON.
I agree with both your posts on part. The drive, quietness and ride were very good with a pleasant acceleration punch however the interior, especially the full dashboard seemed very bland and very BMWish

It reminds me of the E60 5series. I prefer the 211 inside but the ride and drive of the 212 sports is great.

I've only driven a 4pot 212 sport and it was a really nice drive. It be concerned it would feel as balanced with a 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom