E270 CDI Avantgarde Estate Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rbooth

Car
E270 CDI Avantgarde Estate
Hi guys,

I recently shot a review of the family's 2003 E270 CDI Avantgarde Estate and was wondering what you guys thought of it. [Link below].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC9hw1Xt54Q

Also, whenever we lock the car (or the cars tries to lock itself when moving off from standstill), the knob beside the window (driver's side) jolts up and down. This can mean that locking the car can take up to 5-6 attempts before the knob actually goes down to its resting place - is there an easy fix for this?

Cheers,
Rob

No mention of the best braking system in the world, SBC!

g.png
Good video, Thanks for review

Hi guys,

I recently shot a review of the family's 2003 E270 CDI Avantgarde Estate and was wondering what you guys thought of it. [Link below].

Also, whenever we lock the car (or the cars tries to lock itself when moving off from standstill), the knob beside the window (driver's side) jolts up and down. This can mean that locking the car can take up to 5-6 attempts before the knob actually goes down to its resting place - is there an easy fix for this?

Cheers,
Rob

The bouncing lock syndrome is a very common problem - a spring inside the lock breaks . You need to remove the door card , drill out some rivets , take out the glass and replace the lock assembly . The Haynes manual covers the job .

I had forgotten about that one - yet another episode in the saga of the most unreliable car I ever owned ; mine was a C 270CDI Avantgarde estate .

I think the lock assy was about £100 .

Some people buy springs from eBay and repair them - I just bought a new lock .

Nice review. I do like it. Maybe some shots of the engine compartment for next time???

The reviewer looks too young to have a driving licence.

Maybe I am just old. :D

I don't think all E-Class have memory seats.

The reviewer looks too young to have a driving licence.

Maybe I am just old. :D

I don't think all E-Class have memory seats.

Hmmm, not a very constructive and helpful comment. Maybe you are....

Just had a quick look , basic film school stuff : 'crossing the line' , bit too much movement for my likng , tilts especially ...

All a matter of directorial style .

Okay, thanks for the feedback - advice is always welcome and useful. Regarding my age, yes it's true; I'm only 8 years old!

The locking issue is a nuisance, thanks for enlightening me - hopefully it won't cost us that much!

SBC is indeed very powerful, but equally problematic. Touch wood, we haven't had any braking-related problems yet....

In the light of your age - the film was really good !

Did Merc not recall thousands and thousands of cars because of faulty SBC systems? I'm pretty sure SBC was scrapped on the E-Class for facelift cars.

Did Merc not recall thousands and thousands of cars because of faulty SBC systems? I'm pretty sure SBC was scrapped on the E-Class for facelift cars.

Yes this is true all MY03,04,05 went through these recalls and as I understand system was factory tweaked. MB scrapped it only from E-class but SBC continued to be installed in other advanced models. I think SL and maybe CL/S, other members will know. I haven't found any complaint about SBC on forums since. Here and there you will find a word about it but I wouldn't call it systematic failure as it was at the beginning of it's life. But this is definitely the best braking system money can buy and on couple of occasions it have saved my days. Brake response is incredibly instant and powerful and to be honest even if it goes down I will not hesitate to buy new one from MB. After all this is a service part like any other just more advanced.
Wellbeing of my family has no price.

I haven't done any precise stopping distance measurements, but I would honestly say that the E39 530d I drove had sharper and overall more powerful brakes. It's fair to say though that I didn't do any full bore braking in the E39.

The Hold feature though is very cool.

Very well shot video. Could do with some development in terms of interest and commentary, but if you're just starting out it's a very good effort. Well done.

Cheers - voice overs are particularly difficult I find. Has anyone tested both the E270 CDI and E220 CDI facelift (170 bhp)? On paper, the 2.7 is slightly more powerful but the 2.2 is paired with the superior 7g Tronic. I was just wondering how they compared in terms of performance?

Thanks very much. My old man is looking to get a facelift E220 CDI (170), does anyone know how it would compare to the E270 CDI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom