E270 Economy: revisited

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrissyBoy

Thanks to all of you who gave your input last time, esp Richard, Brian & Dieselman.

I've now had a chance to take my baby on a longer trip - to Windsor & back on the M40 - 240 mile roundtrip @ 75mph-ish and probably incorporating c20-30 urban miles.

Overall, I achieved 40mpg. Now, is that more in line with your experiences?

PS no matter how I tried, couldn't top 41 @ 75.

That sounds about right with the urban miles which would have knocked down the average. On a long motorway jouney I seem to get 40 easily, whether its at 70, 80 or 90mph, but rarely get an average above that unless its travelling at a slower speed.

40 sound about right - especially with the urban element of the trip. Pottering along an A road yesterday I managed 47mpg at 60 mph. But that isn't my style of driving and so it soon falls away. As in my previous post, the trip to France was 900+ miles, mostly motorway, and we got 38mpg - but that is at high speed (90+)
I still think your low mpg is your short commute as the car simply doesn't have enough time to warm up - and desiels take longer I think -

Marc

marc777 said:
40 sound about right - especially with the urban element of the trip. Pottering along an A road yesterday I managed 47mpg at 60 mph. But that isn't my style of driving and so it soon falls away. As in my previous post, the trip to France was 900+ miles, mostly motorway, and we got 38mpg - but that is at high speed (90+)
I still think your low mpg is your short commute as the car simply doesn't have enough time to warm up - and desiels take longer I think -

Marc

In this cold weather my car is taking 10-12 miles to warm up and that is knocking the mpg down at the moment. In Summer it is warm in 5 miles.

If you want to try and see what you are really getting, try resetting the trip when the engine is warm. ;)

marc777 said:

True but the cold diesel engine has less of an impact on economy / emissions than a cold petrol.

If my motor was taking 10 miles to warm up I would blank off the lower third of the radiator!

NormanB said:
If my motor was taking 10 miles to warm up I would blank off the lower third of the radiator!

God thats an old trick, used to do it to Fords etc. :D :D

I personally wouldn't recommend it on a modern engine.

Brian WH said:
NormanB said:
God thats an old trick, used to do it to Fords etc. :D :D

I personally wouldn't recommend it on a modern engine.
I agree with Brian, also if you blank off the lower third of the radiator of a car with an auto box, you wouldn't get far before the box would overheat.

S.

I drove up to Birmingham on friday, the first decent run I'd had for a while. Going up there at 80+ mph I easily got 50mpg.

rspeedo2.jpg

An average of 74 means doing nearer 90 most of the time as I kept getting slowed by cars hogging the bmw lane.

I then did quite a bit of town driving around the city and came back across country. Overall I got 42mpg.

rspeedo3.jpg

Thought I'd give you something to compare against!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom