E270 engine troubles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
Driving home from Heathrow friday night and my Engine Warning light came on. I was travelling at about 80 mph at the time and I noticed when I put my foot down the car had no go at all, it wouldn't accelerate.

engine.jpg

I pulled over in a layby and switched the engine off for a couple of minutes and then after starting it again the car was fine and the light was off.

Then yesterday driving to Bluewater the same thing happened, and again the car had no power at all, I think it goes into a safe mode, I could drive it just not very quickly. Even at 30mph putting my foot down didn't seem to do much. I parked up, went shopping for quite a few hours (women :crazy: ), and on the way home it was fine.

Anyone any idea what's up with it? Take it to the dealer I know, but the dealer isn't near me and always has a long waiting time.

Last edited:
Obviously a fault being picked up by the Engine Management System in the computer. When you switch off it resets it till the next time it happens. As it has happened more than once it needs to go on a Diagnostic Check to find out what it is.

Sorry Richard, you did ask. yes the Dealer it is. :crazy:

Problem with the turbo?

Apparently the turbo on the E270 engine is prone to problems (vanes sticking open or something :confused: )

Could you call out mobilo?

Tan said:

I would if it stayed on, but both times I've been able to restart the car and its been fine. It hasn't happened since, but then I haven't driven far, just to/from work.

I popped into a dealer yesterday (not my normal local dealer) and they were very helpful but couldn't look at it on the spot, saying it would have to be booked in. They said they'd give me a courtesy car and would keep mine for three days so they can get any parts in. I'm going on holiday next weekend so booked it in for when I get back.

Yes its going into limp home mode. Could be a number of things, could be minor, could be major, but your still under warranty so no problem!

Jay

Gone are the days of going into the workshop and a guy with a spanner opens the bonnet and tells u there and then what needs doing...seems appointments/bookin in are needed everywhere.

I have mine booked in next week and no courtesey car.....if they find something then i will rebook for car.......

I would assume its Engine Management problem but only diagnostics would confirm. I have heard of a similar problem on another forum...ie loss of power.

Tan said:

Thats what i did .. just called out mobilo when that happened to my engine. Turned out to be a misfire and was reset by star on the spot.

The car is in the dealers this week, went in yesterday. They said it needs new fuel injectors and are waiting for the part which should be in Thursday. They’ve also looked at a couple of other small things for me.

I hope I get it back on Thursday as I'm off to Wales on Friday morning and I don't think I could face the journey in the A class they've leant me. The stereo doesn't work, nor do the fans unless you put it on the maximum setting. Its an 04 reg with 4000 miles, not a great advert for MB reliability.

RichardM said:
The car is in the dealers this week, went in yesterday. They said it needs new fuel injectors and are waiting for the part which should be in Thursday. They’ve also looked at a couple of other small things for me.

New Injectors @ 30000 miles?????????????? :confused:

Hope they are replacing Free??? :eek:

Brian WH said:
New Injectors @ 30000 miles?????????????? :confused:

Hope they are replacing Free??? :eek:

All under warranty thankfully. I just want it back and fixed!

Driving another car is a good reminder of how wonderfull the E class is.

RichardM said:
All under warranty thankfully. I just want it back and fixed!

Driving another car is a good reminder of how wonderfull the E class is.

I'd take the A Class back under Warranty Mate. :D :D

those kind of problems on the E270 cdi and E320 cdi are common, like turbo, ECU, injectors, etc... :eek:

Because of that my father just ordered the new audi A6 3.0TDI :D

Gaiex said:
those kind of problems on the E270 cdi and E320 cdi are common, like turbo, ECU, injectors, etc... :eek:

I do not agree that they are "common". :confused:

deffo not a common problem very well made stuff but you will allways get the odd problem even on the best cars

sorry for my bad english (I'm portuguese) :eek:

I tried to say that they usually have those kind of problems, at least, here in portugal (50% of the 270 and 320)

I know 8 guys that have the same problems, also in the S320 cdi, derivated from electric failures!! :)

So much for the superior reliability and lower maintainence requirements of Diesels!

Still, I am sure as the CDI technology matures further, these kinds of issues will be fully sorted.

Untill now the E or C 220cdi are the most reliable modern diesel engines built by MB :rock:

Gaiex said:

And the injection system on the Audi is made by who?? Oh yeah Bosch, same as the Merc. :confused: :confused:

but the electronics managements are not made by mercedes!!! ;)

How many audis do you know that had electronic management problems!?

Diesel engine are Audi :rock:

(I like the MB diesel engines too) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom