E270 Exhaust blocked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2toast

Car
E300 Turbo Diesel
Recently had loss of power on my E270 CDI after changing turbo and Maf it was diagnosed with a blocked exhaust this was cleaned and hey presto back to normal..Andy Gale merc indie found the blocked exhaust and charged £275 to fix..Having looked at cat it has been cut and welded on three sides can anybody enlighten me with finer details ?
I am now wondering if the cat has been cleaned and resealed or as i think the cat has been cut open contents removed and re welded..if that is the case will my car pass emissions test for next mot?
and have i been mis lead by garage?

£275 to cut open a can, knock out the bits and braze it back up seems like all the money.

Recently had loss of power on my E270 CDI after changing turbo and Maf it was diagnosed with a blocked exhaust this was cleaned and hey presto back to normal..Andy Gale merc indie found the blocked exhaust and charged £275 to fix..Having looked at cat it has been cut and welded on three sides can anybody enlighten me with finer details ?
I am now wondering if the cat has been cleaned and resealed or as i think the cat has been cut open contents removed and re welded..if that is the case will my car pass emissions test for next mot?
and have i been mis lead by garage?

Diesels are not emissions tested only smoke tested on which the cat has only minimum effect, If it fails the smoke test it doesn't matter how good your cat is it will still fail because there is something else wrong somewhere.
Also its not law for cat's to be fitted to diesels only petrol engines

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom