E270CDi (2002) - Valeo issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Did the E class have the same radiator issue as the C class?

They don't all fail. Mine did :(

Vale radiators had a structure (o-ring mainly) which aged and let the glycol and transmission oil mix together. And this caused transmission fails, if not cured immediately (could still have caused some damage).

Automatic transmission cooler is integrated into the main radiator. This entire unit then fails and mixes coolant with transmission fluid. Result can be as minor as a couple of fulshes and it's ok, or as major as a new autobox and torque converter.

Mine failed (on my E270CDI) and I had the converter reconditioned and the box flushed, total cost including labour, new rad etc was about £1400 (the bill is on a previous thread) at an independant.

Prevention options are to replace the radiator, or fit a separate transmission cooler.

Vale radiators had a structure (o-ring mainly) which aged and let the glycol and transmission oil mix together. And this caused transmission fails, if not cured immediately (could still have caused some damage).

Blimey...

What are the signs to watch for mate, is it just oil in water header tank..

You can have your transmission fluid checked for glycol contamination, I think MB charge about £100 for it. There is no visible clues, typically first signs are lurching at slow speed or when pulling away under light load,

Is there a certain age / mileage they go at or is there no real pattern..

Enter Valeo radiator into the site's search facility, there are several threads on the issue, some of which contain the engine numbers of the cars affected.

Here's one link showing how to ID the type of rad DIY:W203 radiator R&R - MBWorld.org Forums
Scroll down to post #21 for large pictures.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom