E270cdi - first diesel - help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
i have a new E270 CDi - my first diesel car. Had it for 6 months.

Unbelievable torque. Huge fun to drive. 40mpg regular. 600 miles range +

BUT......is it me.....?......its not as smooth as I would have liked in the cabin - vibration on the steering wheel; vibration in the footwells - the question is; Is this normal?

I like the noise on acceleration, my previous E240 and E280 petrols were too quiet - but the ruggedness in the cabin was not expected.

Do you have a C220/C270 or E220/E270 - and if so, do you experience the same thing?

I would be grateful for your feedback

Marc

Hi Marc,

I don't notice any vibration at all in the cabin, its always totally smooth. My only complaint is the engine is a little noisy accelerating around town (0-30mph). Its fine at speed even when flooring it.

Your more than welcome to compare cars sometime. Why not come along to the club meeting in August?

Originally posted by marc777
i have a new E270 CDi - my first diesel car. Had it for 6 months.

Unbelievable torque. Huge fun to drive. 40mpg regular. 600 miles range +

BUT......is it me.....?......its not as smooth as I would have liked in the cabin - vibration on the steering wheel; vibration in the footwells - the question is; Is this normal?

I like the noise on acceleration, my previous E240 and E280 petrols were too quiet - but the ruggedness in the cabin was not expected.

Do you have a C220/C270 or E220/E270 - and if so, do you experience the same thing?

I would be grateful for your feedback

Marc

The Vibration sounds to me like Wheel balance.

Take it back to the Dealer and ask him to check the balance of the front wheels M8, If not it's his problem under warranty .:crazy:

I have the older C250TD 5 cylinder and that is very smooth, the only annoying noise is the tyre noise from the rear especially when wet, it sounds like a door or window is open.

The engine growls when under hard acceleration and sometimes the passenger seat frame will vibrate and make a slight noise so I must look at that.

I agree with Brian, sound like the front wheels are out of balance.

I've got the older 250TD as well.

Very smooth to drive and very quiet for a diesel... Agree with the people above...

Ditto what Brian said!

I have a C220 cdi and it is smooth also. Sounds like a wheel balance issue to me. I had a Pug 406 hdi (before the Benz) which was even quieter but it lacked the overall finnese the cdi has in spade-fulls

Thank you for the feedback. I hear what you are saying about wheel balance - but the problem is that the vibration is noticeable when the car is stationary.

Any ideas? The dealership have found a rubber mounted pulley at the front opf the engine was loose, and replaced it - but I can still SEE the steering wheel vibrating at idle - and from what everyone has said that is not normal.

Marc

Could be a problm with an engine or gearbox mount.

Like everone else said My C220 cdi was smooth as a nut, even when chipped and flogged.

However I used to have a mondeo (yack....a long time ago and I try to forget.....) and one day a small piece of gravel got lodged in one of the rubber mounts. This completly stoped any damping taking place and the car started to vibrate constantly.

Trolly jack under the block from the AA and the stone fell out....the problem was solved. Maybe something similar??

Originally posted by marc777
Thank you for the feedback. I hear what you are saying about wheel balance - but the problem is that the vibration is noticeable when the car is stationary.

Marc

Thats the problem with telling us half a story M8.:rolleyes:

Yes now sounds like a Mounting problem assuming that the engine doesn't sound rough at idle?:confused: :confused:

Sorry to put a dampner on things, but you will never ballance a 5 cylinder engine effectively.
In Diesel car the test report for the E states "that at idle the engine sounds a touch crabby from outside the car, when the motor is cold. From inside it's less noticeable, though you'll always be aware the powerplant is a diesel."
Similarly for the CLK "Mildly surprising the amount of thrummy rumble on idle."

I have driven an E 270 CDi and did notice the viabration, but would not consider it to be intrusive, although compared to a V6 240 it was crude at idle.

No five cylinder engine can be ballanced fully.

I don't notice any vibration though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom