E280 CDI Sport or E320 CDI Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FamilyMan

Car
E280 CDI Sport
I'm wanting to buy an E class sport 2006-8 there are plenty of 320's and only a few 280's on the Market.....I understand that they use the same engine which is 'tweaked' for each model..... however as I'm going to use the car to commute to work the 320 'seems' a little large... I travel approx 65miles a day most of which in on major a roads and motorways....

Which should I go for????:confused:

The E320.
On a run, there is maybe 2-3 mpg, if any, difference.

They have the same engine, just different ecu's.

whichever one you do get; are you going to get an approved used one from mercedes?
(peace of mind... 1 year warranty etc...)

320 every time.

If you're buying a Sport then there's a petrol (diesel) head tucked away inside you.

You'll be checking out the rear of others and wondering what you're missing when it reads 320.

On a more practical level, as you've said, there are more 320's so you have a better chance of getting spec that suits you :thumb:.

I've seen a few at non mercedes garages... With Main dealer FSH and warranties....I have thought about private sales and buy an independent warranty .... But I'm wary about how effective an independent warranty would be!!!

Thanks for the replies.... a few of you have 320's... What sort of MPG do you get ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.... a few of you have 320's... What sort of MPG do you get ?

Mine does 40mpg on a run so you should get close to that on your described work journey.

I buy approved used with their warranty, however you will pay for the privilege (though dealers usually negotiate on the sticker price).

Others see approved used as an unnecessary premium.

Whatever you buy, mileage is less important that a service history from MB or a reputable independant.

Town driving-34ish
Motorway & A roads driving- 45ish.

The wife has had it above 50mpg on a good run, but it takes her three hours to do a two hour journey....

Town driving-34ish
Motorway & A roads driving- 45ish.

The wife has had it above 50mpg on a good run, but it takes her three hours to do a two hour journey....

That's good - I don't get that Lee :confused:

I've got a 320cdi. It has more than ample power for most peoples needs in standard tune. Its a quick car, no doubting that.

However, the E280cdi is not slow either looking at the vital numbers of power and torque output as well as 0-60 and top speed times.

However, the 320cdi is the faster car, and I would be suprised if there is as much as 2-3mpg difference, perhaps 1mpg.

I agree you are better with the sport spec. If it came between a 280cdi sport and a 320cdi AG or elegance, I'd take the 280cdi. Purely for the seats and the wheel mounted paddles, but I do a lot of country road driving.

My car is quoted to average 37mpg, I usually better that unless driving quite hard. On a motorway trip obeying speed limits + A roads, I see around 43mpg. My E220cdi did the same.

The cars are very quiet and refined, yet still good fun to drive for what they are. On your run it won't make a difference whether you for for a 220cdi to be honest, so the fact you've even considered the 320cdi really makes that car the only viable option, unless you can get a 280cdi more easily or for significantly less.

Theoretically, as the engine hardware is the same and the difference is just in the calibration, they should achieve identical consumption if driven identically - which is why the published figures are the same.

Any difference will be when you use the 320's extra performance - and that will depend on how you drive.

Theoretically, as the engine hardware is the same and the difference is just in the calibration, they should achieve identical consumption if driven identically - which is why the published figures are the same.

Any difference will be when you use the 320's extra performance - and that will depend on how you drive.

Yep! Except the 280 actually has slightly lower capacity injectors. This means that it cannot be tuned to produce as much power as 320, but actually runs slightly sweeter at lower throttle openings.
I've owned both and you would have to be a real anorak to feel the difference. The 280 is plenty quick enough in the real world, but does not produce the low down grunt of the 320.
I would be swayed by the spec that suits you and don't think that 280 is 'inferior':)

I drive these all day every day and honestly if there isnt a boot badge I couldnt tell you the difference.

If it came between a 280cdi sport and a 320cdi AG or elegance, I'd take the 280cdi.

When I changed my car, I went the other way (but then I'm twice ***'s age!). I had a choice between a lower mileage 280 Sport or a slightly higher mileage 280 AG and went with the AG because I didn't want the 18" wheels and firmer ride of the Sport, but I agree with *** that the seats are better in the Sport. It really depends what you're after. When I was looking around, everything that came up seemed to be a Sport, I had to wait a bit to find a reasonable AG.

The 320 / 280 difference didn't matter to me, because I just wanted the smoother and quieter 6 pot engine after driving a 4 pot 220. Either of the V6's will give you a lovely refined drive. The 320 is a bit quicker if that matters to you, but in real world motoring, I doubt you'd be disappointed in the performance of a 280.

Everything else being equal, go for the 320 as there is no difference to speak of in fuel economy / running costs. It's probably easier to find a 320 in a higher spec, so that may well be the clincher.

I think you would be always wishing you got the 320 over the 280 even if you debadged...

There is nothing in it price wise I guess? Mpg the same so why not?

Ours S211 E320Cdi does between 35 and 49 (i've yet to beat 50mpg)

It also does 26 - 28 mpg towing our reasonably large caravan. Holiday to Europe recently, car full, roof box and bikes on towbar rack it did 42mpg.

Great car does a lot of stuff very very well :)

Yep! Except the 280 actually has slightly lower capacity injectors. This means that it cannot be tuned to produce as much power as 320, but actually runs slightly sweeter at lower throttle openings.
I've owned both and you would have to be a real anorak to feel the difference. The 280 is plenty quick enough in the real world, but does not produce the low down grunt of the 320.
I would be swayed by the spec that suits you and don't think that 280 is 'inferior':)

EPC lists both cars as running A 642 070 13 87 Injection Nozzle. There may be other hardware differences though.

I concur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom