E280 cdi sports estate - which power steering oil ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
I have a bottle of MB power steering oil ... A000 989 88 03 ... that I've used correctly for the W210s - E300TD and E430.
Is it suitable for a year 2009 E280 CDI Sports Estate ... WDB2112202 ... ???

If not ... Which MB Part No ?

Euro Car Parts seem to list a variety of Dexron II and Dexron III type fluids for the W210s and the W211.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Most dexron ATF fluids are ok in power steering pumps, take a look on opie oils web site they have a look up table on there.

Thanks Tricky I'll check it out.

I had copied my original query to ir inchcape, who I have always found to be helpful, and received the following reply:

Thank you for your enquiry
The oil required is MB345.0
Part number A001989240310 £19.08 per litre
(You should only use this spec of oil)
.............. your local retailer will be able to supply this.

I will be following their advice.

There are a number of 3rd party companies that produce fluid to MB345.0

I use Febi CHF11S, you get it from GSF, or ebay or many others. It is much cheaper than the MB stuff

I believe that either CHF11s or the brand name Pentosin will get you the correct fluid.

I had copied my original query to ir inchcape, who I have always found to be helpful, and received the following reply:

Thank you for your enquiry
The oil required is MB345.0
Part number A001989240310 £19.08 per litre
(You should only use this spec of oil)
.............. your local retailer will be able to supply this.

I will be following their advice.

Just to help and confirm your googling!

This is the recommended oil from MB and yes, you will get a bill for £20`ish.

If you value your Merc. get the correct oils etc that it runs on.....i never ever trust aftermarket places that sell off important items cheaply.

On the Volvo`s they changed to green coloured Pentosin from the normal red coloured ATF during the Ford ownership and i swear they did it to get more money from disasters such as the oil not mixing with the early type and ruining the steering system rubbers etc....there are a lot of examples recorded on their sites.

In fact the only difference in the practicality of the two oils is that Pentosin can operate better at below freezing temps. .....so what use is that to us in the UK?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 12
I have a bottle of MB power steering oil ... A000 989 88 03 ... that I've used correctly for the W210s - E300TD and E430.
Is it suitable for a year 2009 E280 CDI Sports Estate ... WDB2112202 ... ???

I had thought that MB345.0 was generally for heavy duty use in commercial vehicles.
From Sheet 231.1, it seems that the specification for your PS is MB236.3, which includes the PSF that you have been using.

Regards, lim

MB main dealer (Inchcape) has confirmed that MB345.0 is correct for the PS in my vehicle and that MB236.3 is NOT.
OK - It will cost me 20 quid.
OK - I might be able to get an alternative for a tenner.
What's the most I can save ..... Perhaps a tenner ?? ... One eighth of the cost of a tankful of diesel.
What's the risk ... Who knows ??

The guy at Inchcape has always been most-knowledgeable and helpful.
I shall certainly be following his advice.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Sorry about the apparently incorrect suggestions.
Mercedes-Benz and I stand corrected!

Regards, lim

Sorry about the apparently incorrect suggestions.
Mercedes-Benz and I stand corrected!

Regards, lim

Inchcape is a long-established Mercedes-Benz main dealer.
I have an account with them and have been dealing with my contact there for over 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom