E280 CDI What sort of MPG would you expect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spring15

Hello, I have just purchased 2006 E280 CDI with full merc service history and 25k miles and am really pleased with it. My mate has also just bought a 55 plate E320 CDI. What seems strange is he seems to get 40 mpg all day even running around town. My 280 is not bad on a motorway run where I can see around 40 to 42 mpg but most of the time its does around 32 around town. Can anyone advise me what sort of MPG should I be seeing on my E280 and does switching the gearbox to C mode make any difference etc, any advice would be great. thanks

Your MPG sounds about right, particularly as the car is so young in milliage, its not anywhere near ran in.

It will loosen up a little in time but town driving will kill it.

The older straight 6 engined 320cdi was slightly kinder on fuel anyway but his figures do seem high for town driving, perhaps he is more sympathetic with the use of the go pedal?

Agree with ***'s comments above. My experience is about the same as your own in mpg terms. My '09 280 CDI has 29K miles on it and my average is just over 31mpg. That is calculated by brimming the tank each time and noting mileage, not from the fuel computer (which is normally optimistic).

My best mpg figure of 39mpg was on a recent 600 mile (mostly Motorway) trip with the cruise control set to roadside chat / 3 points (depending on the officer).

I'd be surprised if purely town running with an E320 could get much above 30mpg - but that depends on your definition of town running. Bumper to bumper in the rush hour traffic kills my mpg.

Interestingly, I had an E220 prior to the current car and there's less than 1mpg difference in average fuel consumption between the two - but the V6 is a much better drive.

Hello

On a run over 5 miles I can see over 40mpg easily. Going to and coming back from France recently saw 41mpg and 42mpg for the journey, thats in an S211 E320cdi with a roof box, 3 bikes on a bike rack, boot loaded and 2adults / 2 small people :) Speed 75 / 80mph with ocasional tap on the go pedal when I got fed up...

Mine has a Brabus D6 box fitted, which I do think driven normally actually does give more mpg.

42mpg with all what I took out of my car was great. Round town I think 30mpg would be right, even less if stop start for any length of time.

thanks my e280 is my first mercedes and I love it, it was toss up between a 09 Mondeo or my E280 Advangarde I did think about the 220 but I thought it might be a little under powered, and the 280 is so smooth.

^ no contest really bewteen the Merc and the Ford.

Don't get me wrong I like some of the fords, I think the S max is a very handy bus, it probably would have been far more economical? but nothing like a smooth or as nice a place to be :)

I did think about the 220 but I thought it might be a little under powered, and the 280 is so smooth.

I think you definitely made the right choice. The E220 (170bhp version) is actually OK power wise, better than you'd think actually. I just couldn't get on with the racket it made - too much like a taxi. The V6 is nothing like as noisey and suits the E class character much better.

Guys, my other mate has just sold a 320 cls and bought a Range Rover Sport. He had his 320 chipped, well its sort of a black box that plugs into the loom somewhere under the bonnet. He said he had it on his e280 before his 320 and it increased power and increased MPG..can that be true. He also said it plugs in and is set using a lap top by a dealer, he said that I can have it for my car if I would like....what would you advise, has anyone had their V6 280 chipped like this ?

Better than mine! I average 28-30 round town comb of heavy and light footed and have had 42mpg on a run to Birmingham.

My lambda sensor has gone so that maybe a culprit but I know of others who have the old straight 6 which is more economical than the new v6.

Last edited:
Guys, my other mate has just sold a 320 cls and bought a Range Rover Sport. He had his 320 chipped, well its sort of a black box that plugs into the loom somewhere under the bonnet. He said he had it on his e280 before his 320 and it increased power and increased MPG..can that be true. He also said it plugs in and is set using a lap top by a dealer, he said that I can have it for my car if I would like....what would you advise, has anyone had their V6 280 chipped like this ?

Don't know the specifics of this chip, and I'd personally be a bit wary of a third hand offering, but in principle this is right - the 280CDi is exactly the same engine as the (later) 320CDi - both are 3 litre V6s - and the 280 can be boosted quite considerably. Watch for any insurance knock-ons though.

I think you definitely made the right choice. The E220 (170bhp version) is actually OK power wise, better than you'd think actually. I just couldn't get on with the racket it made - too much like a taxi. The V6 is nothing like as noisey and suits the E class character much better.

True, it just sounds effortless at all times.

my w211 E280 CDI-
30- 35 mpg in town... 40 - 45 on motorways, and unto 52mpg if i'm an@l and drive at 50 mph...
right tyre pressure, good fuel, clean air filters, downwards slope and a tail wind also help :)

my w211 E280 CDI-
30- 35 mpg in town... 40 - 45 on motorways, and unto 52mpg if i'm an@l and drive at 50 mph...
right tyre pressure, good fuel, clean air filters, downwards slope and a tail wind also help :)

Yep! That's about right. I used to get about 46mpg on long runs in a 280CDI Estate, while my wife would only get 33mpg in the very same car running into the city and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom