E280 Fans? (w124)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagr

Car
1994 E280, 1997 BMW 528I SE
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a '94 E280 which has diavia aircon.

It has the big viscous fan in the engine bay which is always spinning but it also has 2 fans behind the front grille. I have not seen these come on yet. Should they?

Thanks

I think they should come on with the air conditioning to cool the condensor?
Is the air conditioning working?
Does the compressor cut in at all?

Hi,

If the aircon is working at least 1 of these fans should come on a lot. If the aircon is working and the fan doesn't, the pressure in the aircon system will rise to high. There should be a safety cut off when the pressure gets to high (probably about 15 bar). If this also doesn't work I would expect the system to start leaking at it's weakest point (normally the condensor). Probably best to get the system checked out by a garage that has aircon tools. If the system runs on R12 (it might just be one of the last ones and R12 is now illegal to stock or use) it will need to be converted to R134a refrigerant. Or you could try a R12 replacement gas but I don't have good experience with them.

Regards,

Job

Thanks for replying.

The Aircon switch lights up when pressed but does not seem very cold.
There is a sticker under the bonnet that says it has R134a refrigerant.

I have just changed the spark plugs and noticed a black cable from the inner wing has come off what appears to be the aircon pump.
(It has a ring connector on both ends from the bodywork - aircon pump)

This could be causing the problem. Maybe?

If the air-con is working you should notice a slight change in the tick-over speed when pressing the button due to extra load on the engine.

Or get someone to turn it on and off whilst watching the compressor - see if the clutch engages. :)

"you should notice a slight change in the tick-over speed when pressing the button"

I have not noticed a difference in the revs when switched on.

"Or get someone to turn it on and off whilst watching the compressor - see if the clutch engages"

I will try that later, what should I notice?

Look at the pulley on the end of the a/c compressor, when the air conditioning is switched on, the 'middle part' should engage and start turning. :)

You should be able to hear it too, and as PJH has said, you can normally notice a slight change in engine speed/sound.

HTH,

Will

Will said:
Look at the pulley on the end of the a/c compressor, when the air conditioning is switched on, the 'middle part' should engage and start turning. :)

You should be able to hear it too, and as PJH has said, you can normally notice a slight change in engine speed/sound.

HTH,

Will

I have just gone to check and there is no change in revs and the 'middle part' does not turn.

Looks like it needs fixing

Thanks

I thought that if the AC (the EC button) light is on, it means that air conditioning is turned off??

jagr said:
The Aircon switch lights up when pressed but does not seem very cold.

C240Sport97 said:
I thought that if the AC (the EC button) light is on, it means that air conditioning is turned off??

depends on the model - if it says A/C off - then yes when the light is on the A/C is off, as it's standard for it to be on all the time.

But some older models it's A/C on if light is on.

EC illuminated on my model (1997 W202) indicates that the air conditioning is switched OFF! ;)

HTH,

Will

Will said:
EC illuminated on my model (1997 W202) indicates that the air conditioning is switched OFF! ;)

HTH,

Will

same here :D 1998 w210

Don't forget you need the heater blower on above the "1" setting as well or the AC won't come one whatever the position of the button (at least on mine anyway!)

The EC stands for Economy Mode ( Aircon off), it then just acts as normal heater/fresh air ventilation.

With the EC light off the aircon is on, the other two buttons are recirculated air ( with this on air is not pulled in from outside, handy if you get traffic fumes or "countryside pongs" from outside - the car will mist up quickly if this option is on too long)

The other button is for dehumidifier/air dryer - use this to quickly clear misted up windows/condensation, this clears very quickly with the temp dials and air circulation set for demist.

I recently sold my 95 e280, they are great cars and I'd have another.

sportyreptile said:
I recently sold my 95 e280, they are great cars and I'd have another.
I agree, it is a fantastic car

The buttons on my dash are:

1 - Dehumidifier
2 - Looks like a snow flake
3 - recirculate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom