E280cdi sport exhaust - normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMMANATI

Car
W211 E280cdi Sport saloon 2009 grey
Hi guys,

Only my first post here but hopefully many more to come. A lot of good information on the forum.

I went to a dealer this morning to view the e280cdi sport from 2007. Engine did produce a bit of white smoke when starting, which I assume was normal. It wasn't excessive. It started a bit slow, took the ignition maybe 2-3s. Apparently it wasn't being driven few days.
It was running smooth no concerning sounds. Test drive was good too. Nothing I could spot that I would have to worry about.
Inside one button is cracked, lock windows button was stuck, passenger handle taped - must have been broken but it works, not much else to note. Mechanically however I am no good at all so decided to share the photos here as I am sure there is much more experience and knowledge.
I looked at the exhaust though and it does seem like there is a little bit of ash, is the amount normal or should it be cleaner.
Mileage is about 62000miles so it wasn't driven very much. Last few years only about 5-6k per annum.
Reg: YD07 VHC
See photo below of both sides.
Appreciate your advise.
Best,
20190920_102431-small.jpg20190920_102402-small.jpg

Do you have DPF?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
When I run its VIN number on datamb.com website there is no 474 code. Only 926
926 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY
So i think it doesnt have the DPF.

When I run its VIN number on datamb.com website there is no 474 code. Only 926
926 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY
So i think it doesnt have the DPF.
Than it is very normal. My one is dark after a few days, after the wash. I have the CLS of the same year. I think it was a transition year for having DPF

It is normal for a non DPF vehicle.

Than it is very normal. My one is dark after a few days, after the wash. I have the CLS of the same year. I think it was a transition year for having DPF

It is normal for a non DPF vehicle.

Thanks guys! That would mean good news. I'd still probably have it inspected for other things, black death etc. just to be sure.

Thanks guys! That would mean good news. I'd still probably have it inspected for other things, black death etc. just to be sure.

Just lift off the engine cover, no need to pay for an inspection to check for that. I do not think that the OM642 is particularly prone to that anyway.

I would find out how much itwill cost to fix the broken trim pieces, they can be expensive and require a fair bit of labour for some parts.

Remember, these cars are not uncommon so if in doubt walk away.

Slow starting is often the glow plug controller. They all go at least once or twice. Costs 100 quid ish or a OEM manufacturer part and is a DIY fix so no Biggie.

Just lift off the engine cover, no need to pay for an inspection to check for that. I do not think that the OM642 is particularly prone to that anyway.

I would find out how much itwill cost to fix the broken trim pieces, they can be expensive and require a fair bit of labour for some parts.

Remember, these cars are not uncommon so if in doubt walk away.

OK! Will do with next one. I assumed there would be screws fixing the cover. But seems like there are only clips?
Just messaging indie MB or dealer and ask for the broken pieces?
Yeah it seems there is quite a few cars. I've only started looking in the last 2 weeks.

Slow starting is often the glow plug controller. They all go at least once or twice. Costs 100 quid ish or a OEM manufacturer part and is a DIY fix so no Biggie.

Thanks! Will note that.

The engine cover is only held on by push down connectors. Often the plastic retainers in the cover are missing but these can be replaced cheaply.

MB will likely be the only supplier of trim and interior parts unless you can find some at an MB breakers.

Also, ensure washer jets each emit an even fan sparay, they often block and can be impossible to clean meaning replacements at around £40 per side for the parts.

The engine cover is only held on by push down connectors. Often the plastic retainers in the cover are missing but these can be replaced cheaply.

MB will likely be the only supplier of trim and interior parts unless you can find some at an MB breakers.

Also, ensure washer jets each emit an even fan sparay, they often block and can be impossible to clean meaning replacements at around £40 per side for the parts.

ok got it! Will try with engine cover.
Yeah checked those jets, Ive read they could be problematic.

Few issues I spotted in the interior (i mentioned in my introduction thread) are here:

Wheel seems a bit used for 60k, doesnt it? Same for gear lever
Those vents in the back should have plastic elements to adjust the direction on them, right?20190920_103012_small.jpg 20190920_103047_small.jpg 20190920_103831_small.jpg 20190920_104038_small.jpg 20190920_103606_small.jpg

I personally would pass if the current owner couldn't be bothered to replace the inside door handle, what else have the not bothered with?

Plenty forsale Euro 4 diesels arent the most desirable purchase in the UK right now, unless exporting. Good luck with your search.

The wear does look odd for the mileage, have you checked the MOT history?

Pretty poor specification, no heated seats, lots ot niggly trim pieces to fix.

There are better out there and the 320 CDi is faster, often better equipped and just as good on fuel

I had a Facelift E320 CDi saloon and as said it definitely would be a better buy than a 280 cdi. I found the performance very good for a big old barge.

High wear for 60K , looks like someone was holding on to the automatic gear knob for every single of those miles !

What does the service history say ?

The wear does look odd for the mileage, have you checked the MOT history?

Pretty poor specification, no heated seats, lots ot niggly trim pieces to fix.

There are better out there and the 320 CDi is faster, often better equipped and just as good on fuel

Yes I did check it. Seems ok. But the history starts in 2010 only at 17k. Seems normal. Here is a link to the check. Unless they did crazy miles in first 3 years and clocked it. I guess that is also possible.
CAR CHECK
Strangely this websites valuation is showing close to £6k for dealer price.
320cdi sport is my preference but this one was very close so I just went to see it. At least for reference to others if not much else.

If you dont mind i might continue this thread up until I become the MB owner. So there will be more viewings. Two more tomorrow so I shall report on those.

Last edited:
I wouldn't lay out anymore than 3200 for that car.

Short update on the search journey.

I saw a e320cdi sport estate today. It is from 2008, has done 104k miles.
Very extensive service record, first from MB dealer (online print), then from independent garage, all parts/repairs receipts provided in a folder.
Well looked after car, wear consistent with mileage, less worn than the supposedly 60k miles saloon I saw on Friday. Everything works, all the electrics etc. New tyres on the front, back with about 6mm left. Exterior very good as well. No engine lights, fired up fast, engine running well. Got a video from the start when still cold.
Test drive also ok, drives well, engine pulls really nicely (you can feel its quicker than e280cdi).
Its the 5 seat version estate.
The owner bought it in 2015, 2 keepers. Just passed MOT this week. Last service earlier this month. He knows a bit about cars, so keeps it well maintained. Its a daily driver for him.

The only thing I noted was a leak from underneath, about mid length of the car. The owner said it is most likely from air conditioning. The spot from the leak was not there on the asphalt when we got there which would suggest it was water and it evaporated. However would need to confirm.
Second, bigger thing in my opinion was the rear suspension. Wheel arch was 63cm from the ground on the driver side and 66cm on the passenger. Ground was not levelled and it sloped into the direction of the driver. Unfortunately I havent check the from wheel arches. Assuming it is worst case scenario and system needs service first, then replacing or repair, what would be the cost, upper range? How expensive can it get? Would you steer away from estates because of this?

See photo below of:
- leak underneath
- rear suspension
- front headlights (I think they just need a good clean)
- exhaust (to compare with the previous car, black but no as much ash)
20190922_122045-edit.jpg 20190922_114657-edit.jpg 20190922_121906-small.jpg 20190922_114837-small.jpg

Exhausts are normal as has been said for a non DPF car.

All estates have self levelling rear suspension but you need the car parked on a flat and level surface to correctly evaluate this.

The liquid looks like condensate that is generated by the A.C but chek the cooling system.

Thanks for your replies.

In the end we couldn't agree on the date/time for the seller to have the car inspected and in the end he sold it a day before our scheduled PPI. Unfortunate but someone must have offered more than me and took it right away.

I saw another one today, saloon from 2009. Used car dealer, good service history and receipts, last owner is selling but hasn't owner this car for even a year. To me it doesnt sound very good.
Basically it wouldn't even start, battery is empty, 4 tyres with almost no thread, 1 flat, drivers seat adjustment button missing, left mirror adjustment not working well (info on the dash), open boot button does not work. Scratches on the body around but overall consistent with age I would say.
Overall a waste of time. Sear continues. There is not many examples of 2008-2009 w211 in 320cdi sport trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom