E290 Turbodiesel ?!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
I was in Asda's today on the usual lunch run and in the car park I spotted a W210 (Pre facelift I think, I wasn't paying too much attention :p ) in metallic Amethyst (same colour as MBenzNL's C250D) but what really caught my eye was the car's rear badging... E290 Turbodiesel. The car was on Polish plates (I presume P is for Poland ;) :p ) so I couldn't pin the car to a specific year but do these really exist? or has the owner been tinkering with his badging? :D :devil:

S.

Last edited:
In know in the Europe they had a W210 E270cdi but that never made it over here. We've been quite slow getting the whole diesel range and there is no sign of the V8 diesel like they have in Europe!

Anyone else seen the W203 C000 in and around SW16?

That's a nice purple colour too!

Originally posted by jaymanek
I saw a smart CDI in zurich, dont think theyre over here yet?

Smart CDI has never sold through official channels in the UK, lots of imports about though.

Yes, the E290 diesel exists, Koolvin and I saw one on the Autobaan in NL, Koolvin took a pic of it but the server it's hosted on has vanished for some reason atm :(

yes you do! i spotted one last year in NL and I took a Pic

Attachments

• dsc00334.jpg
    dsc00334.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 93
yep, that's the pic I was talking about, thanks Koolvin :)

Originally posted by Wheelie
I saw loads of the 200CDI's in Portugal recently....

These have just been launched in the UK, the same engine as the C220CDi but with less power.

The 290 is the same 5 cylinder engine as used in the Sprinter van and the G Wagon. Bit short on power but majors on torque and economy.

Thanks for the reply guys :D it looked just like the one in K.'s photo. Heh I'd never heard of a 290 designation before, I guess they weren't common in the UK then. I still love that deep metallic purple colour though :cool: especially on bright sunny days like today.

S.

I've spotted an E290 as well but can't remember what country the 'plate was issued in. Anyway, it's possibly something to do with a tax-break in the country of origin.

Also, lots of engines (not just MB) delvelop 193bhp due to a tax-break in Germany.

There are quiet a lot of e290 td`s over here in belgium , the weird thing about them is they have less hp (only 129 ) then the e250 td (150 ) wich they sold at the same time at almost the same price .. and the tax costs are a lot higher on the 290 here , and I`ve heard that the quality of the 290 ain`t better then a 250 , wich are both 5-cylinders ! So it isn`t a big loss if you don`t got them in the UK .. ;)

greetz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom