E300 BlueTech Hybrid - 1 Month On....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Sportwag!!

Didn't we used to both be on the VWAudi forum when we both had A4's?

Compared to my bosses new 520d touring, my E220 is noticably quiter and softer on the suspension than his. So glad I didn't go BMW!

mega miler mercs and bmws

Out of curiosity what do all u people who do 40k miles a year and get worried about BIK actually do! Is it a commute or sales or business or what?

Hello again - members of the Lava Grey club too!

Oh yeah!! I see we have gone for different colours this time though! Shame they didn't do Lava grey on the E class, that would have looked awesome!

I think the tyre brand can make a significant difference from what I've read on various threads. I have Michelins on mine and they seem to be the quietest. Also, I think that the Estates will generate more noise from the rear as there is simply less between them so if you have a brand that is noisy this could exacerbate it.

Then there is my little theory - which I'd be interested in views on, that these cars are now so refined in terms of wind and engine noise that the road noise is extremely dominant and therefore seems louder than it used to be. I've driven XFs, new F10 5-Series and W212 E-Classes and the thing that stands out over their respective predecessors is that they are significantly quieter overall, but that tyre noise seems a little more prevalent - because everything else has been largely eliminated.

What do others think?

Just to pop back to this post, I have a 212 estate and when the OEM Contis needed replacing I went for Michelin's. Like you, I found them a lot less noisy. Well worth the extra £20 a corner. I also have a plastic boot floor cover in the back so the dog doesn't entirely ruin the carpet and I think this helps a bit. Anyway the car is much improved. It's avante-g and suits me fine so I'm pleased to see others saying the 5 series is worse. I suspect in town the e300 is better still
Ash

Out of curiosity what do all u people who do 40k miles a year and get worried about BIK actually do! Is it a commute or sales or business or what?

Service Engineer.
I opted out of my company scheme and took cash +£100 more.
That bought me a way better deal than the company can offer.
And no tax, but the bigger engine pays me 18ppm plus I claim back the tax difference from HMRC at 40% too.
My colleagues bought 'frugal' 1.6 VW and Nissans. They are losing money on every journey - upper 50's mph combined versus my 50mpg but they get over 4p per mile less.
I'm making money every mile :)

Steve

Just ordered new tyres for the back of mine. Original Bridgestones lasted 28k, impressive.

Gone for Michelins though, hoping it will be a little quieter based on the opinions on here!

Latest run in the E300 Hybrid, now at 3000 miles and mpg improved 2-3 mpg.

For about 30 minutes I was stuck in horrible traffic in central Slough. This is where a Hybrid really makes a difference.

P.

Last edited:
Just ordered new tyres for the back of mine. Original Bridgestones lasted 28k, impressive.

Gone for Michelins though, hoping it will be a little quieter based on the opinions on here!

I am up to 33500 and still on original tyres front and rear - at the 31000 mile service they said that there was 4mm left so getting ready but will hang on a few more weeks and have new ready for the worst of winter...

not sure what to go for - I have Avantgarde with 18" wheel option, may see what is available from the likes of Kumho or Falken.

Ian

I work for myself as an interim manager, go where the work is and commute where practical. I charge my expenses to clients and then claim back for me personally from my business, funding car myself to avoid BIK.

Ian

I am up to 33500 and still on original tyres front and rear - at the 31000 mile service they said that there was 4mm left so getting ready but will hang on a few more weeks and have new ready for the worst of winter...

not sure what to go for - I have Avantgarde with 18" wheel option, may see what is available from the likes of Kumho or Falken.

Ian

New Michelin Pimacy's fitted, significantly quieter from the rear. Mine were down to 4mm at the edges and 2.5mm in the centres. Expected wear as I tow with this car and run at 55psi for towing at the rear, which does tend to wear the centres a little more than normal. I was quite pleased with 27k on the rears, my previous Audi used to eat a set of fronts every 15k!

I am up to 33500 and still on original tyres front and rear - at the 31000 mile service they said that there was 4mm left so getting ready

At 4mm tread left they are half worn.

1700 Miles and latest MPG (accurate not display) is 37.34mpg made up of rural, town and some motorway.

At 4mm tread left they are half worn.

With winter looming and a 260 mile commute on some days, I may decide that i can accept throwing away a few quids worth of tread in the interests of staying on the road!

But I have to say, despite the fact that most of my driving is in a straight line and relatively lightly loaded. I am amazed to get approaching 40k miles from the tyres!

Ian

PS service also suggested pads only 25% worn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom