E300 DT Powerless when cold - Runs good after restart warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilleper

Car
W210
Hi,

I have this kind of odd problem with my 1999 E300 DT. It starts fine but runs like you had taken the turbo out. If I drive it until it's warm, then restart, it runs good. In summer I just have to run for a couple of kilometers, at about 10° C for about 15 kilometers and at about freezing for 30-50 kilometers before I restart and it runs fine.
If after restart and good performance I stop it for some time and then restart, it runs good for a little while and then goes back to running poorly.
I have changed the MAP sensor, cleaned the MAF, changed the temp sensor after the intercooler, changed the vaccuumconverters at the turbo and EGR. Nothing had any effect.
This problem started after the car had been standing for about 9 months. I have cleanded numerous connectors and ground points.
Read somewhere that the automatic transmission could somehow be involved in this mess. I am going to check the connector this weekend to see if ATF in that can be the cause.
Have anyone else here had the same problem. Would be of greatest interest to know how you solved it.

// Lilleper

It would seem to be going in2 limp mode then ?
Hav you checked all vacum pipes ?

Hi hondo,

No I haven't. But I guess it must work since the turbo kicks in ok when it runs good. I figure that if vacuum is the issue, it would still run poorly after warm restart, don't you think?

Yesterday I disconnected the connector going into the transmission. It was soking wet with ATF. The inside and cables seem dry though. I used some electronics cleaner and cleaned it. Now the car is REALLY in limp mode since the tranny only uses 2nd gear and refuses to shift. Disconnected the battery over night. No change. So back into the garage. Guess next step will be to empty the ATF and take down the pan.

My guess says the EGR valve is sticking, hence it goes into limp home mode after a few minutes driving.

Hi Dieselman. Have checked the EGR and it moves easily

Every time you turn ignition off ecu will reset but limp home mode will return when problem reoccurs

Iv had a similar problem in the past and it was leaking vacum pipe at egr ,for a start it was intermittent but eventually it was in limp mode after less than a mile everytime

Also did a code reading. Code 116 was among those that came up. Says Y3/6b1 (temp sensor ATF) and / or Y3/6s1 are intermittent defect. Sounds like there could be an explanation in the transmission.
Anyone knows if you have to change the hole conductor plate or if it's possible to change components on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom