E300 hybrid burning smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horse

Car
E300 hybrid estate
Had a hybrid estate for one week now. It is pretty difficult to get it to run on the electric motor without the engine cutting in but today my trip finished down a very quiet lane so was able to drive slowly and keep it on electric for the last 1/3 mile.

When I stopped there was a very strong burning smell which I assume must be the electric motor. Any other hybrid owners noticed this?

I've never noticed any smell, and have 22k in mine now. Re the electric motor - you'll get more used to it over time. I found that by driving normally it kicked in more than when I tried to get it to work. When you get it working pull the right-hand paddle towards you as this puts it into sailing mode and then try to modulate the throttle. You'll learn to have a very soft and sensitive right foot pretty quickly and then you'll reap the benefits. Sounds like you're getting the hang of it if you got it to run for 1/3 mile though.

Hopefully the smell is just related to everything being new but if you're worried take it back to the dealers - better safe than sorry.

Good point, not considered regen. That was one of the concerns I had with a diesel hybrid that the stop start wouldn't let the exhaust get hot enough and cause more fuel sapping regens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom