E300 Hybrid to E350 Night Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
I thought some may be interested in a comparison of the above cars.

I must confess that I did like the Hybrid but did have a few issues mostly recalls, but nothing relating to the Hybrid system.

The E300 was leased but the E350 I have purchased intending to keep this for a few years.

Both cars are estates and both Polar White, the Night Edition though looks much nicer with the black highlights.

There is a world of difference in driving these cars which is surprising for two cars looking so similar.

The E300 I opted for SE trim preferring a comfortable ride and was concerned that the firmer set up along with larger wheels on the Night Edition would be too stiff, far from it though the set up for the E350 suits the car so much better with ride and handling being much better.

The E300 had the 7 speed auto box and was mostly smooth but in Hybrid mode could be hesitant and lumpy at times, in sport mode this was not the case, the start/stop with Hybrid drive would need getting used to as at junctions the car on pulling out would launch you forward on battery before the engine had kicked in, this can be disconcerting at times while waiting for full power.

The E350 has the 9 speed transmission and this is superb, very smooth and seems quicker changing than the 7 speed.

The E300 is a very quick car for its size and the kick in the back when flooring the accelerator is quite pronounced with battery assistance, the 2.1 engine can be noisy from cold but quietens down when warm or travelling along.

The E350 engine is superb and I can understand the praise this unit normally has on the forums,
It is so smooth, quiet and powerful an absolute dream to drive.

Both cars are comfortable but the E350 has sports seats which hug you well and are even more comfortable, these seats seem lower set than the E300 but not sure if it is so.

The software in the E350 is different from the E300, the E350 has Command Online and I have linked this to MercedesMe which is quite useful.
I was sat in the E350 for around 20 minutes or so trying to download music before realising there was no option for this in the new car, my bad though for not reading the literature.

The Hybrid is a very fuel efficient car and in France last year managed mid fifties but is really well suited to urban or queuing traffic situations.

The E350 surprised me on the fuel efficiency when cruising I got nearly 50mpg on way to Dover on my recent French trip and whilst in France around 45mpg but the speeds were higher, crawl along though or use in urban/queuing situations and this plummets.

To sum up though the E350 is a great cruiser and much smoother and quieter than the E300 (not that the E300 is noisy by any means) the car is an absolute dream to drive and if anyone is contemplating buying one I can wholly recommend it, but watch the fuel consumption if you do urban use.

Wheww

Just noticed how old this post was.

Am I right in thinking the E-class 350 is now that wonderful, tried, tested and loved straight six? In Belgium they offer the W450 petrol or the E400D

I believe both the E300e and 300De now have that 9 speed box and to quote the author

the 9 speed transmission and this is superb, very smooth and seems quicker changing than the 7 speed.

I wanted to look on the UK site but at the moment I cannot configure an E-class estate to look at the engines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom