E300 OM606 diesel non starter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just got the correct one for it best way in my book..George..

Just an update, whipped the manifold off yesterday 4 of the 6 plugs came out without grief, I had some heart in mouth moments but undid them with a borrowed torque wrench. No's 2 and 3 were pigs, they both undid but didn't want to come any further:doh:. I kept spraying plus gas around the base and eased them out after a couple of hours with grips
wink.gif
. New Beru's went back in with copper grease and she started first turn of the key after the light had gone out.
Whilst the engine was running without the manifold I could then see the air bubbles in the pipes. I've now fitted the new o rings and pipes and all's well. The inlet manifold wasn't as bad as I had been warned but I have cleaned all the ports after leaving it over night in some diesel.

Thanks to all of you for your help on this. I have used other forums before, this ranks as by far the most helpful.
SilverSaloon many thanks for your input and parts listings as well.
Number Crunchers advice on undoing torques was really handy.

Happy new year!!
biggrin.gif

i had my manifold off on the silver car the other day to replace the main feed/return rubber fuel pipes as they were letting in air. i also removed and dismantled the small heat exchanger and noticed that this can let in air at the centre large green rubber gasket. I cleaned this and refitted with a bit of "instant gasket" on both services. now no bubbles either for me.

just got to do the same to the green car at some point.

this is another thing to add to the list thats worth doing when the manifold is off.

pleased the car is now sorted!

Brilliant thread, I've a 96 220d and got the air in pipe syndrome but no glow plug issues,just needs taking off tick-over while starting so it doesnt starve due to the air,if the manifolds coming off for the pipes do you reckon change the glow plugs anyway :confused:

Brilliant thread, I've a 96 220d and got the air in pipe syndrome but no glow plug issues,just needs taking off tick-over while starting so it doesnt starve due to the air,if the manifolds coming off for the pipes do you reckon change the glow plugs anyway :confused:

not if they are still OK. its worth replacing all when one goes, but not if they are fine IMHO.

once you've done it once the manifold can be removed pretty quickly (20 mins tops removal, same on refit)

not if they are still OK. its worth replacing all when one goes, but not if they are fine :bannana:IMHO.

once you've done it once the manifold can be removed pretty quickly (20 mins tops removal, same on refit)

appreciated,thanks for the info,off to spain friday for 6 weeks :thumb::bannana::thumb:(heart attack recovery lol) so will be diving into my spanners when back again,having never owning a merc what gaskets do i need to obtain before plunging in ?? apart from all the pipe work etc,you all keep wrapped up :cool: and hopefully the snow and ice will have left when i get back :bannana:

i only know about the 300 multivalve engine, but if yours is similar you will need new breather pipes if your car has them as they go brittle with age. new orings for the clear pipes..... you can probably re-use the manifold gasket. use "instant gasket" paste on the HE if you remove it.

I agree, this is the first time I had done it and to be honest it filled me with dread. However, once I actually got on with it I was OK. I took photos as I went along to help with any refitting problems but didn't need them as it happened. Now if there is a another issue I wont be shy about whipping off the IM sgsin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom