E300 rattling when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foley

My 98 E300 TD was running on a high percentage mixture of bio diesel until the cold whether froze the fuel in the lines. After a few days of trying to get it started the temperature rose enough to unfreeze the lines.
Since then I've run it on 100% pump diesel and it's been fine other than a rattling noise between 1000 & 1200 rpm when cold. Once hot the rattle more or less disappears or certainly becomes less noticeable. I've tried a couple of bottles of injector cleaner but it's not resolved it.
I can't remember how noisy the car was when cold before this problem.
Any ideas?

We have 2 1999 E300TDs.
These cars use a traditional diesel injector pump and are noticeably-more rattlish than the more-modern common-rail diesel injection systems.
However - One of our cars (127,000 miles) is noticeably-more noisy when cold than the other (115,000 miles).
When they are warmed-up, they are both very similar - A bit noisy, but nothing to worry about.
Both have only been run on pump diesel.
Both are regularly dosed with Miller's.
Both go like a train !!

Johnsco

Mine does this but its no more than the damper rattling against the head where it's bolted.

This is the small piston which holds the aux belt tight via a pulley, its then bolted to the head.

Try pushing on this when started to further dampen vibration (take care with rotating fan when doing this)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom