E300 TD gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graeme_m

Car
W221 S63 AMG
I have a '98 E300TD estate, which doesn't like winter. As soon as the weather starts to get cold and damp, like around October, the gearbox develops a problem from cold.
Car is parked outside, on a slight uphill incline, starts normally and changes gear normally. As soon as it gets to approx 40 degrees engine temp, the gearbox shows a tendency to hold the lower gears until reaching the redline, almost as if the clutch is slipping. If the gearbox is held down to 4, this does not occur.
The problem has been reported to my dealer twice, but apparently shows nothing on diagnostics and I have been told that this is a normal function of the gearbox holding each gear longer in the warm-up period.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

my two e220's used to take longer to change up from startup for a while, i found out that was normal... However if ures starts doing it from 40 and reaches redline then there is something up... How many winters has it been doing this??

Thanks for the reply.
This has been happening for the last two years, normally when overnight temperatures drop below 6 degrees. And I was wrong, the problem really occurs when engine temp gets to around 60, not 40. Normally only holds onto first gear, but when it does change, it goes very quickly from 2nd to 3rd., (presumably because the rpm is high).

Silly question No.2. When driving with the sidelights on, you can see that the gear indicator on the centre console is flickering, when cold, but remains steady once warm. Could this indicate a faulty contact on the gear selector which might cause the problem, or is the indicator a totally unrelated item.:confused:

I suggest You give George Fraser a call, he knows Benz gearbox's inside out!!!

0208 7951055

It definately is a problem. My car '98 E300 Td doesn't exhibit any strange characteristics at all.

A faulty MAF or coolant sensor could cause this as well as a faulty gearbox but the flickering light sounds a bit odd.

The gear selector could have a faulty connection but it would have to be acting as if it was in first gear.

It sounds odd but a fluid change might not go amiss as old fluid can cause gear sticking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom