E300 timing chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonez59

Car
e300td,360bhp 4.2td patrol, 730bhp R32 GTR
Hello, as some of u know that i have had major rattly sound coming from the engine, well found part of the slide rail had snapped off, so thought id change it, started taking it apart and check the timing, put the bolt through the inlet cam, both the little dots lined up but the bottom pulley was reading 22' thought it might read 0,1,2 but dam So take it needs a new one??
The car has paper work saying it had a new chain last year but the way it was coming apart im not so sure. Got all the fan off and rad moved enough to work on the engine,
What else do i need to take off to change the chain and how i lock the diesel pump in place??

Thanks ian finaly getting some where with the dam car.

Hi, what timing spec do you have for the 606 engine?

In other words, how do you know it is supposed to be set at TDC? Many are around 20 deg ATDC...

Generally, these chains do not wear measureably, and never need changing.

Last edited:
Just checked, cam timing is indeed supposed to be at TDC, so it seems the chain has been installed wrongly last time!

Just checked, cam timing is indeed supposed to be at TDC, so it seems the chain has been installed wrongly last time!

I would be checking carefully where the crank timing has been measured as 22 degrees out is likely to mean piston and valve contact.

that might explain the engine sounding very cammy as ive said before. See another engine being chucked in very sooon, but it does run very smooth, not ruff like a bent valve,no smoke, ok might re-time the engine fit the new full length slide rail and see how close to the right timing i can get it. Is there any marks for the pump timing? or ill just u tipex it where it is as it runs ok

Pump timing should be 14 degrees ATDC when timed via the port in the side of the pump.

ok thanks, will see what happeneds tomoro up the workshop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom