e300d exhaust heatshield loose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen coy

Car
clk 230
Noticed recently a metallic rattle when stopping the engine of my w124 e300d.Had a quick look underneath and found the centre section exhaust heatshield loose at its front end. Its still screwed to the floor at the rear, but access to secure the front does'nt look possible without removing the exhaust which I would'nt want to disturb. Is anyone running with the shield removed, which I'm considering doing as the exhaust is a generous distance from the floor?

Hi, I am no expert, however, I would have thought that if there was no need for a heat shield then there would not be one fitted. I would think that when on the move it would be ok, when stopped however the residual heat would be considerable. Perhaps someone with 1st hand experience will be along shortly.

We've had two E300TDs.
One by one the rear and central exhaust heat shields have worked loose on both cars (including the one I drive daily).
I looked at refitting them.
It did not look easy.
I tossed them all long ago - No ill effects at all.

The near-side corner of my boot is slightly warm (but only slightly)
I'm not sure I'd want to do this if I lived in a very hot country.

Thanks guys for the replies and advice.

I think I will remove the loose section. My thinking is it serves a good purpose preserving the level of comfort in what was a very expensive vehicle with the refinements that went with the price tag. I'm also looking back to the 60'/70's and probably 80's cars I've owned where if I remember right managed with the exhausts slung directly under the floors, along with their quarterlights, no abs brakes or servo's:eek:, manual door locks, wind up windows etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom