e300d lights problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eggzy43

Car
e300 diesel 1995
I just got my first ever MERCEDES ….A 1995 E-300D saloon and after a week of driving it I must say I am over the moon! But there are some initial worries I would like to share:
The interior back lights (blower knobs, gear knob area, window switches etc) don’t light up when I turn on the headlamps. I pulled of the headlight switch and replaced the tiny bulb to no avail, so I suspect its something else, I checked the fuses under the bonnet and they seem ok, is there another fuse box elsewhere? I hear some stories of wiring loom problems, does the insulation perish causing shorts or something, I’ve just ordered the HAYNES for it and realised the book only covers cars up to 1993. I imagine it covers this one? I have to say the storage is abysmal!!! On glove box? And a tiny box in the centre console? What were they thinking? Also the rear headrests automatically dropping down seems, well daft? Apart from those little gripes the car, although 15 years old looks, drives, and feels like a 3-year-old car. Oh yes! The centre blower vent has “caved in” is it possible to remove the grill with ease?
BTW JUST GOT THE HAYNES MANUAL WHICH IS USELESS ON THE SUBJECT!!!:wallbash:

I just got my first ever MERCEDES ….A 1995 E-300D saloon and after a week of driving it I must say I am over the moon! But there are some initial worries I would like to share:
The interior back lights (blower knobs, gear knob area, window switches etc) don’t light up when I turn on the headlamps. I pulled of the headlight switch and replaced the tiny bulb to no avail, so I suspect its something else, I checked the fuses under the bonnet and they seem ok, is there another fuse box elsewhere? I hear some stories of wiring loom problems, does the insulation perish causing shorts or something, I’ve just ordered the HAYNES for it and realised the book only covers cars up to 1993. I imagine it covers this one? I have to say the storage is abysmal!!! On glove box? And a tiny box in the centre console? What were they thinking? Also the rear headrests automatically dropping down seems, well daft? Apart from those little gripes the car, although 15 years old looks, drives, and feels like a 3-year-old car. Oh yes! The centre blower vent has “caved in” is it possible to remove the grill with ease?
BTW JUST GOT THE HAYNES MANUAL WHICH IS USELESS ON THE SUBJECT!!!:wallbash:

Have you tried turning the dimmer switch?

Sometimes they croak and kill the back lighting.

Good luck with your new car BTW.

The instrument cowl lights work but all others are dead there’s no juice as verified with a new bulb............so I assume its not the rheostat? and like I said the HAYNES manual should be renamed the VAGUE manual…yes? No? …Or even the HAZY manual? Thanks for all the input

Last edited:
i think the instrument lights and the hrater\gear backlights sre on a different circuit

i don't suspect the rheostat???????????

second stab ........:wallbash:Can anyone please help? 01928 572988 runcorn. The 'backlights' of the heater controls headlamp dial, gear selector etc don’t work, I tried the various t10 bulb holders (knob lights, dial lights) with a known good new bulb to no avail...but the instrument cluster backlights DO work and yes they dim when the stalk is twisted...BTW I got a continuity between the bulbholer NEG and the chassis earth. Many forums keep referring to the RHEOSTAT, but I suspect a different circuit or a bad earth or a hidden fuse, I only understand basic electronics but I was wondering; If I connect a 'hot wire from the battery POSITIVE to a POSITIVE on a t10 bulb socket, would this supply an independent current to these lights? I tried the coat hanger method to remove the instrument cluster but bottled out as the ‘hooks kept flying out and I was scared of damaging the padded surround or the binnacle.
I tested the amps between the battery NEG and the disconnected battery NEG cable with the car switched off and got 0.02-0.03 (10A range) & 0.04-0.05 V (20Ma range) whatever that means………? Which is the fuse in the box? I can’t work it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated……eric

12v straight into the lamps will bring them on, but it sounds like you have a broken connection somewhere.
If the dash lights dim then it's not the rheostat, as that is working.

I was told by a guy who "knows these cars inside out" to replace the headlamp dial switch. hmmm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom