E300dh real world electric range at 70mph?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterE320Cdi

Car
C219 CLS 320 CDi, R170 SLK 230K, XC60 Past Cars: S210 E320 CDi rusty, CLK 240, S210 E300 DT
I live and work just off the M5 so my daily commute is 16 miles along the M5 at 70mph, 32 miles in total each day.

With the current price of fuel I calculate that a car costing around £10K which can complete the commute under electric power would save enough on fuel to fund the purchase over 5 years.

E300dh's are now in this price range but I can find little information on their real world electric range at motorway speeds.

Does anyone know the, current, electric range of an E300dh from 2013 to 2015 at motorway speeds?

Thanks

Peter

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly, but I was listening to the radio the other day when a man came on who had an electric car, he didn't say which. He said the quoted range as defined by some industry standard was about 320 miles. He then said that if you don't want to freeze in the winter or boil in the summer it's nearer to 130 miles.

I live and work just off the M5 so my daily commute is 16 miles along the M5 at 70mph, 32 miles in total each day.

With the current price of fuel I calculate that a car costing around £10K which can complete the commute under electric power would save enough on fuel to fund the purchase over 5 years.

E300dh's are now in this price range but I can find little information on their real world electric range at motorway speeds.

Does anyone know the, current, electric range of an E300dh from 2013 to 2015 at motorway speeds?

Thanks

Peter
Is this the car that Mercedes dealers refuse to repair as the parts cost more than the purchase price? Think these early hybrids had a very very poor electric range of around 10 miles.

I saw similar figures in a recent carwow video, range at 60 and 70mph was way below the quoted range on the new Skoda, it's around 4 minuted 30 seconds on the video when they are looking at motorway speeds.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is this the car that Mercedes dealers refuse to repair as the parts cost more than the purchase price? Think these early hybrids had a very very poor electric range of around 10 miles.
10 Miles is only 33% of the quoted range :eek:

Thanks

Peter
You need to read around this subject generally. It's not how hybrids work.

I had conversations with three hybrid E class (company car) owners last summer,

My limited sample of three loved their hybrids, but only because of the company car tax break. Not because of how they drove.

Another factor worth investigating is maintenance and whether this kind of hybrid is cheaper to maintain as it gets older. EVangelists will say that it must be, your local mechanic might not be sure.

From what I saw last summer, I don't believe an E300dh would be cheaper than a diesel for your kind of driving without the company car tax break, and certainly won't be cheap enough to "fund the purchase over five years." But that silent running might appeal because it's interesting and new. Want to save money: then perhaps an E220 is the better, and less risky, candidate.

Maybe I'm wrong - let's see what owners say. I suspect that the low retail prices (early teens) of E300dh's indicate that I'm not far off the mark

Last edited:
A non plugin hybrid is just a stop/start system on steroids. It's designed to deal with urban driving with lots of traffic. On the open road or motorway it's just a normal car.

A non plugin hybrid is just a stop/start system on steroids. It's designed to deal with urban driving with lots of traffic. On the open road or motorway it's just a normal car.
Think of it as an E220 with a dead Soprano in the boot.

Same engine, just an extra 110kgs for the battery and all the Hybrid "gubbins."

The electric motor and small battery adds power, but that weight also consumes power.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 13.25.37.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom