E320 1994 Rough Idle & No Acceleration when warmed-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pavuk

After I washed the engine of my E320 for the first time I have this problem: the engine is sputtering and "lurching", it feels like something is way off balance. The whole car shakes it feels almost like the timing is somehow thrown off, but the engine still runs. It doesn't seem to do it for the first couple of minutes after a cold start-up. In addition, the car will sputter and hesitate to accelerate.

It happened once before while driving drove a shaking car a mile or two and parked over night. Next morning car did run good.

I changed Engine Wiring Harness (because the wires were in bad condition) and cleared all codes (DM: 10, 21. PIN 8: 4, 13,21,36,38 and PIN 14: 5, 11), NO HELP. After this the car still runs the same. Engine check light came on and then off. I checked the codes again and no codes recorded. Does anybody have any suggestions what to do next?

bum info sorry, just read op's post in detail

>>After I washed the engine of my E320 for the first time

I know I'm closing the stable door a little too late, but, washing and cleaning engines is always unwise - on W124s with less than ideal wiring, even more so.

The exteriors of engines don't need to be clean - they don't work any better or any more efficiently for it.

I say this not to flame the OP, who is already having a rough time!, but to highlight the risks for others who might be tempted into similar folly.

Although I agree with Number Cruncher to an extent, a clean engine does serve some purpose.

Firstly, it's easier to spot a developing leak (oil/coolant or fuel) on a clean engine in a clean engine bay.

Secondly it's much nicer to work on a relatively clean engine, rather than one that's filthy.

Thirdly for cosmetic reasons, it's nice to have a clean looking engine. Helps maintain resale value too, although there's a fine balance between a clean 'honest' engine and one that's been obviouly tarted up / hiding something, etc.

You don't have to use masses of high pressure water etc, a careful, practical approach taking neccessary precautions isn't likely to cause trouble.

Will

Erm.. sounds like transmission oil, hapnd to me, just needed to top it up.. but toping it up is tricky in itself, u can only put in half a litre at a time...(because you can only be half a litre over.. ne more and...) and you can only put the oil in from the dipstick... but i would advise a second opinion... does ne1 think im making sense... i dnt wanna ruin the felaz MB. : )

Erm.. sounds like transmission oil, hapnd to me, just needed to top it up.. but toping it up is tricky in itself, u can only put in half a litre at a time...(because you can only be half a litre over.. ne more and...) and you can only put the oil in from the dipstick... but i would advise a second opinion... does ne1 think im making sense... i dnt wanna ruin the felaz MB. : )
Sorry mate, are you replying to this thread or another.

best start with a meter & check all the comp values against mb values & try & rule out one thing at a time when cold & hot

Pavuk

I am puzzled because you state check engine light came on.

As this is primarily a UK site and we do not have check engine lights on our 1994 E320's cars, I wonder if you are based in USA.

Seems as though water has got down into spark plug wells.

You really need to take off top engine cover and look down into these wells.

Suck out water and dry off with hair dryer or similar.

It may be a coil has shorted and as each coil feeds two cylinders you would experience driveability problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom