E320 Cdi (56 plate) Squeaking Front

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyP

Car
e class
Morning All, long time lurk but first post.

Just as of yesterday front right started to groan/squawk over smallish bumps. Got car back home and pressing on the right hand wing gave the same sound. After an hour or two that test stopped creating the noise.

Took the wheel off this morning and had a looksee if anything obvious was amiss but nothing really stood out. Wheel on, went for a drive and once hot the noise returned :wall bash:

Tried the search but it wasn't coming up with anything so thought I'd ask if there are any favourite firsts to check on these?

Cheers

KennyP

More than likely it's the top ball joint dried out. Simple fix only half hour to change it. Make sure you change it for a lemforder part . Only around £30. Could also be bottom ball joint so you could do with someone pushing wing whilst you investigate.

Thanks for such a quick reply. I shall test as suggested and let folk know the outcome.

Cheers again.

KennyP

streethawk said:
More than likely it's the top ball joint dried out. Simple fix only half hour to change it. Make sure you change it for a lemforder part . Only around £30. Could also be bottom ball joint so you could do with someone pushing wing whilst you investigate.

+1 for both ball joints as mine suffered this before and new ball joints cured it

Thank again, I've been chasing it around today, sometime I can get the noise and others not as I try to pin point which one. I might just go with both instead of phaffing around. Top one as said is straight forward enough looking (!), are there any dramas with the lower ?

Thanks

KennyP

Mine squealed whilst turning! A bit of wd40 down the boot stopped it for 5 mins

Bottom one you need a special tool and it's troublesome. If local I can loan you mine. Leicestershire.

Super offer but I'm 300+ miles away in Scotland. After yet another look, I am more suspicious of the bottom one as the top looks very clean and the rubber in really good nick. The problem seems to worsen with heat and with the lower being much closer to the brake disc I am starting to put the two things together.

I shall get one ordered up and report back.

Thanks once again for the offer,

Cheers
KennyP

Where abouts in Scotland are you? I know a very good indie who could sort it out for you,the bottom one that is. Top one may be gone too as mine showed no sign of wear on the rubber but was totally shot when I took them off

Hi there, i'm just outside Dundee and could do with a good Indie.

KennyP

Wee update chaps. Put the car into local garage who have a decent reputation with the info of probable ball joints.....They changed the entire track rod arm.

Picked the car up, drove 5 miles (you can see where this is going!) and noise returns. Take car back, they inject lube into ball joint and noise goes away :wall bash:

Owner has agreed to remove the unnecessary arm and do the ball joint on monday.....Stay Tuned!

KennyP

Wee update chaps. Put the car into local garage who have a decent reputation with the info of probable ball joints.....They changed the entire track rod arm.

Picked the car up, drove 5 miles (you can see where this is going!) and noise returns. Take car back, they inject lube into ball joint and noise goes away :wall bash:

Owner has agreed to remove the unnecessary arm and do the ball joint on monday.....Stay Tuned!

KennyP

Told you

On my CLS it went like this. Top one was done die to squeaks on uneven roads. Bottom one was done as it developed a squeak when on near enough full lock manouvering around at low speeds

All sorted with just the bottom ball joint replaced and the big arm removed and refunded without any grievances from the garage. I think they just felt a wee bit caught out by it!

Many thanks to all who offered input, much appreciated!

KennyP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom