E320 CDI estate...poor MPG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh Dear, I had my 02 front wings replaced under MB warranty and they made a cracking job of them. But I did notice they don't have any plastic linings and I thought about waxoyl.
Now I will take the car back to the MB bodyshop. Many Thanks Guys.

See r11pak's reply above.

I thought he was talking about the W211, which DOES have wheel arch liners. Turns out his car is a W210 (like yours, it would seem?). I don't know, but it sounds like the W210 doesn't have wheel arch liners.

just been out and checked my 01 w210 estate and that has wheel arch liners

On a sidenote about tyres - if your car stays the same weight and the tyres are lower profile, the contact patch should stay the same i would think? Which means the same resistance and same economy. If the tyre is wider and lower profile the contact patch will be wider, but not as long as the original. I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, but i stand by my statement that wider tyres don't really effect economy.
___ . . _______
I...I or I_____ I
I...I
I__I

The theory here is incorrect.

If it were true then you would get no traction advantage of running wider tyres.

When you have a narrower tyre then you are putting more load in a smaller area. This can help in some areas like on snow but where out and out traction is concerned on a dry road this is no help.

Dave!

I have been told I need a new thermostat - my car stinks of unburnt fuel is not as economical as it used to be and has been losing power sometimes, as though the turbo has gone. I had no idea the thermostat not working could have an impact on fuel economy. I'll let you know the results when I have collected Fri/Mon

Are you sure the unburnt fuel smell is not from the engine, from leaking injector seals? That should be fixed immediately. A poor thermostat should mainly reduce fuel economy because the engine efficiency goes down.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1397502-any-320cdi-expert.html

My 2001 E320 cdi regularly gave around 46mpg on the motorway. However, I do recall there was a period when the economy did drop, and was showing mid-30s on a run. This coincided with engine running a bit cold, and stalling on occasions. Problem turned out to be the thermostat, and all returned to normal when it was replaced.

33mpg is definately not right.

If the thermostat doesn't fix it check the MAF, EGR valve and have the ECU re flashed to standard. Someone may have had a bad tuning programme installed which has sent the economy to pot.

Hi I have been keeping my eyes on the temp reading carefully and yes its between 40 - 80....inside i get hot air but its not as hot as it should be.
I will order a new thermostat tomorrrow..hopely this will resolve the issue.

I drove 60 miles on friday at an average speed of 56 and reached 42 mpg ...but the temp gauge is staying too low ...so definetly need to get this sorted.

Also I didn't get the car to drive at 56...I should be able to drive it at 80 without getting poor mpg///

I'll keep you guys posted.

That really sounds like the scenario I had a couple of years ago. Replacing the thermostat isn't a big job, and I suspect that will sort things out.

Are you sure the unburnt fuel smell is not from the engine, from leaking injector seals? That should be fixed immediately. A poor thermostat should mainly reduce fuel economy because the engine efficiency goes down.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1397502-any-320cdi-expert.html[/quote]

MB replaced thermostat, glow plugs and mass air filter.
This has cured the smell, although I don't know which part/s (maybe all 3) did the trick.

I did have all the injectors replaced earlier this year, so I should think the seals would have been replaced when the new injectors were fitted.

Many Thanks for the advice.

thanks...

I finally got time to replace the thermostat last week and have noticed a massive improvement on the mpg...the average as gone from 26-27 to 36+ over the last 650 miles....driving at 60 im now getting 45mpg and at 50 almost 48mpg.

Also the temperature is now always sitting between 80-90.....it does however take a while to get there 15-20 minutes... i guess its cold outside....best of all i get much hotter air inside the car now!!

: )

?? When you reset the mpg at say 60mph does the readout start at 26mpg again and then quickly work its way up, or should it go straight to the mpg your currently getting ??

Last edited:
thanks...

I finally got time to replace the thermostat last week and have noticed a massive improvement on the mpg...the average as gone from 26-27 to 36+ over the last 650 miles....driving at 60 im now getting 45mpg and at 50 almost 48mpg.

: )

?? When you reset the mpg at say 60mph does the readout start at 26mpg again and then quickly work its way up, or should it go straight to the mpg your currently getting ??

I think it starts at 26 and then you do your best to see how high you can get it. It's like a game, seeing how light-footed you can be. Best I got on say a 18mile motorway trip was up to around 43mpg, but that was very very careful throttling and easing right off the pedal when possible;)

I think it starts at 26 and then you do your best to see how high you can get it. It's like a game, seeing how light-footed you can be.

I'm so pleased I no longer own a diesel, that is how I used to enjoy my cars when they were dervs!! :(

I'm so pleased I no longer own a diesel, that is how I used to enjoy my cars when they were dervs!! :(

Hee! This was only in test-mode after having thermostat, mass air filter and glowplugs replaced (a lot of unburnt fuel that smelt incredibly bad).

I don't usually drive in that way! That said, I'm not a boy racer either, I just enjoy my motoring at all paces. ;)

I was joking, I tend to watch the mpg in whatever car I'm in, in the 320d when I first got it I was getting 38 and was trying so hard to get it over 40, when it had done 10k miles I was getting 43 and was then trying to get it over 45mpg, by the time I sold it I was getting 48 mpg on a run and would bust my balls to get 50+. :D

Now in the E320 I am seeing 26mpg and try my hardest to get it over 30mpg on a tankful.
Still the same!

I constantly reset the M3's OBC when I get on a motorway to see what that will get too, then think sod it when it drops to 15!!! ;)

Now in the E320 I am seeing 26mpg and try my hardest to get it over 30mpg on a tankful.
Still the same!

Is this a W210 E320?

I have an estate and can always get 30 at least if the drive is at least 8 miles. Anything on a motorway for 20 miles or more and my best is 33.5, including the fiddly bits at boths ends and in the middle.

I was joking, I tend to watch the mpg in whatever car I'm in, in the 320d when I first got it I was getting 38 and was trying so hard to get it over 40, when it had done 10k miles I was getting 43 and was then trying to get it over 45mpg, by the time I sold it I was getting 48 mpg on a run and would bust my balls to get 50+. :D

Still the same!

I constantly reset the M3's OBC when I get on a motorway to see what that will get too, then think sod it when it drops to 15!!! ;)

I know what you mean, I used to sometimes feather throttle my 3.0 Omega and then after seeing only 33mpg on a run would get fed up and take off;)

Is this a W210 E320?

I have an estate and can always get 30 at least if the drive is at least 8 miles. Anything on a motorway for 20 miles or more and my best is 33.5, including the fiddly bits at boths ends and in the middle.

Yeah, E320 W210 estate.

On a run I can see 30+ easily, but trying to get more than my usual 26mpg over a tankful would be painful unless it is all motorway work. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom