E320 CDI gearbox stuck in one gear!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walesuk1

Hi got a 2002 e320 cdi 120,000 mls full service history,been getting a strange sound on startup from cold as if starter motor is hitting then missing (grinding sound).thought maybe it was battery but its not.Drove to my dads earlier,then driving back car wont change out of gear tiptronic not working.Tried turning off and on wont reset itself ,just wont change gear.no warning lights on either.Dash lights seem to be staying on aswell after key is removed.any ideas guys?

regards
Mike

I have same / similar problem

My E320 CDi estate was fine last night, when I drove it this morning, the auto box was permamtantly in second gear - no warning lamps on the dashboard or no audiable clunks when selecting drive. The car has done 39,000 miles and is in excellent condition.

same here no warnings, but mine does seem to clunk and lurch when selecting drive,can only drive in one gear maybe second at 40 mph tops!!

Yep, sounds like limp home mode. You need to get it plugged in and get the trouble codes for a starting point.

I see a few people have had similar problems and its ATF oil in the ECU working its way up the wiring loom had a look under the bonnet where the ECU is but Im not sure which one it is as there's a few ECU's there but cant see any oil in or around that part of the engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom