E320 Cdi in limp mode after MOT - gearbox issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morzov

Took my W211 E320cdi for an MOT yesterday - passed fine with no advisories.

However, on drive home after about 2 miles it went into limp mode.

I've read the codes and reset them but the car still goes back into limp mode. The main recurring code seems to be

P2511 The torque converter lock-up clutch has excessive power consumption. Also comes up as p0740

I have checked the ATF level and it's OK.

I drove the car from Bristol to Reigate and back on Monday with no issues so I can't help wondering whether anything that happened in the MOT test could have caused this fault? Have been to the garage before for MOTs and never had any issues.

I have had gearbox issues in the past but none since I changed the electronic control plate other than the car was reluctant to change down gear at low speed so it's possible that this is just a progression of that.

Any ideas on this would be most welcome.

Unlikely that t the MOT caused anything. A Star session would be the best way forward in terms of diagnostics. Are you absolutely sure the ATF level is correct and was measured at 80 degrees C?

Yep I'm sure about the level and it wouldn't have changed between the last few days driving when the car was fine and yesterday.

I've got a pretty good delphi diagnostic package so I'm confident about the fault codes -has sttod me in good stead before in diagnosing a dpf fault which Merc main dealer couldn't diagnose!

Yep I'm sure about the level and it wouldn't have changed between the last few days driving when the car was fine and yesterday.

I've got a pretty good delphi diagnostic package so I'm confident about the fault codes -has sttod me in good stead before in diagnosing a dpf fault which Merc main dealer couldn't diagnose!

Star is only as good as the user, cn the Delphi look at individual Solenoid values etc?

Causes of this DTC may include: Wiring harness to transmission damaged, loose connection, open or shorted circuit Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid Transmission control module (TCM)

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0740
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Well I can't actually get the car anywhere without putting it on a trailer so finding someone who can operate star correctly is a non starter (no pun intended!)

be my first port of call if thats the only thing thats been disturbed tbh .

Are you a member of the AA/RAC?? If so push it around the corner and call them saying that it started this as soon as you moved it and your not comfortable with it.. they "may" (not saying that they will) take you to a garage of your choice..

You can also ask them for a quote to tow it - I did and it wasn't to bad, my car had the EGR Cooler go on it making it "I'll give you 3 wishes " (Genie) meaning that you couldn't see traffic behind you it was that thick..£50 notes later and I was recovered to a garage /dealership.. they use contractors to do this that have to meet their standards before use.

Nice idea thanks but round the corner is a very busy and narrow main road!

It's too nice a day now so I'm going to leave it until next week. I have fixed it before and hopefully can do so again!

Thanks very much to all who responded - have a good weekend

Are you a member of the AA/RAC?? If so push it around the corner and call them saying that it started this as soon as you moved it and your not comfortable with it.. they "may" (not saying that they will) take you to a garage of your choice..

If you have ‘nationwide’ then they have to recover you to the garage you want anywhere , I had my CLK flat bedded 65 miles to Terry :D

Seems after all this isn't a gearbox issue -as the fault code for that has now gone - so I've started a new thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom