E320 Cdi Oil Leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tcb180

Car
Mercedes E320 Auto
Suddenly developed an engine oil leak and thinking towards Oil Cooler Seals which in itself is relatively simple to D.I.Y. BUT an access nightmare.

Anyone had this done at Indy? Looking at approximate Indy charges.

If I go down the D.I.Y. trail, there's some great posts on You Tube but I'd be looking for some help / advice as to what seals and extra gaskets I'd require in addition to the obvious inlet gaskets and turbo gaskets.

T.I.A.

Anyone ?

Colleagues BiL had this done on his S Class, cost was just under £1.5k at a MB garage, after a goodwill reduction.

How comes this is a 9 hour job?

Ive also got a similar trickle leak and having searched the interwebs Ive nooticed that there are diferent locations and types of oil cooler. I guess the more work to access it the more hours it will take

OP Where is yours located on your engine? ANy photos?

How comes this is a 9 hour job?

Ive also got a similar trickle leak and having searched the interwebs Ive nooticed that there are diferent locations and types of oil cooler. I guess the more work to access it the more hours it will take

OP Where is yours located on your engine? ANy photos?

The oil cooler in my car is deep in the V of the V6 requiring a big strip down. I'm no mechanic myself but believe 9 hours is the Mercedes time allowed for this job.

Need to clean off the area and ascertain exactly where the leak is coming from. Did it with mine, turned out to be the intercooler pipe seal, common fault, less than £5 to fix.
Please let us know how you go on.

I not long had this done. Mine was the oil cooler seals. While the top was stripped down i had the inlet manifold gaskets changed, egr cooler gasket, glow plugs and obv the oil seals. I needed a repair on 1 of the flaps and also i had a resistor fitted to bypass the port shut off thingy. I supplied parts (total just over £80 auction site) and local indy charged £400 labour

Thanks guys. Yes I'm eyeing up all the parts now. I am time served mechanic of the old era but I'm going to take this on if the signs are it is the cooler seals. I've yet to get under her and see where the leak is coming from. There's a fab time lapse video on You Tube.
Will be fitting a new cooler too.
If it is the seals, oil builds up in the v and then trickles rearwards through a very small hole in cylinder head. It then drains off down through the gearbox bell housing and then to under trays and floor. There is an inspection grommet on the side of the bell housing. Remove and dip finger in. If oily its a good sign its the cooler seals. ( With engine off obviously).

I can see traces on 2 hoses down through to the right (passengers side) when looking under the bonnet. I truly hope that it is something easier.
I'll keep you posted.

My Indy quoted up to £1,000 labour and parts with new cooler too.

Just bought the final part for the job. The oil cooler. Why is it Mercedes want £133 for a new oil cooler yet if I buy a new one for the Jeep which has same engine it is sub £60. Guess which one I bought. Just nurse her through until March and I will be making a start.

Turbo off 1st then post off to Turbo Technics for a rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom