E320 CDI power figures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squidward

Car
E250 CDi Estate
I'm looking at getting an E320 CDI (2003 - 2007 ish). According to Autotrader, the later cars have a higher power output.

I've found Autotrader to be less than accurate in the past especially concerning the performance stats hence my question here.

If there was a change to the engine with a higher power figure, when did this happen?

Would I be better to go for one of the later cars with the higher output, or will I not notice the difference in the real world?

So the earlier cars up to early 05 in some cases were a 3.2 straight 6 diesel with I think 204bhp? Don't quote me exactly on that! Great engine and good power output and they certainly are 200+ as they pull very well. Also a 5 speed box on those.

05 onwards was the 3.0 v6 and that is a fairly good engine. A few more issues but nothing major in my opinion. Generally they are 224bhp and again they are a solid 220+ bhp, not inflated figures at all.

I believe 06-06 was facelift which did away with SBC, an excellent braking system but you will need to put away £1000-£1200 for replacement once the counter limit is reached.

Engine wise, gunning is correct, they went from the IL6 to a V6 with increased power

How would I identify one of the newer cars? Is there anything on the VIN number or are there more obvious clues?

I had a 2003 (53) e320 cdi I6, i had it mapped, fitted a larger Intercooler and Cat back exhaust.

She'd pull 150mph, and do 15 sec'd 1/4mile at 90mph terminal. Tested real world, Also cracked 60mpg general return was 50mpg. done 18k faultless miles with it.

I had a 2003 (53) e320 cdi I6, i had it mapped, fitted a larger Intercooler and Cat back exhaust.

She'd pull 150mph, and do 15 sec'd 1/4mile at 90mph terminal. Tested real world, Also cracked 60mpg general return was 50mpg. done 18k faultless miles with it.

Yours was a lovely car, almost as nice as your current one :thumb:

How would I identify one of the newer cars? Is there anything on the VIN number or are there more obvious clues?

As a rule of thumb, if it has the in-line 6 engine then it's a pre-facelift.

IL6 looks like this

maxresdefault.jpg

V6 like this

hqdefault.jpg

I assume the facelift 2006 models had the V6 , 7g gearbox and switched from aSBC system to standard braking system. Have a 2008 model and love it, fast, smooth and seems to be reliable .Had it 4 years and get 45+mpg on motorway runs, 42/43 cross country and 32/35 on shorter 20 mile round trips into and around town.

Thanks Bob, even now i see some old pic's of it and think Dam...... That was a clean car lol, Loved it and wouldn't regret having another. :)

Do they take well to remaps? I've had other cars remapped in the past (petrol and diesel turbos) and neither were problem free.

Loving my 2009 E320 CDI sport, Great performance.

As ever with these look at the spec carefully, with MB is seems EVERYTHING is an option. Poke the VIN into this site for options list on stuf your looking at.

Check MOT history on line. MB service history went to on-line 2008 (I think).

Do they take well to remaps? I've had other cars remapped in the past (petrol and diesel turbos) and neither were problem free.

Mine was completely problem free 100% and Mpg was improved tested brim to brim.

Friend of mine has had his W210, W211 and now W212 remapped, all turbo diesel and all faultless.

Use a reputable remapper and it will be fine

You need to take care around the pre-facelift/post-facelift period, as there are quite a few hybrid cars out there. I know of at least two facelift cars with the old IL6 engine and I'm fairly sure there are some non facelift with the V6 engine. Facelift cars have 'slatted' front sidelights and door mirrors on a stem rather than being hinged at the door. Sorry, can't access photos from here. :)

My day to day car is an 03 E320 CDI and I absolutely love it. I assume it'd be the 204bhp model but I can honestly say it really does shift.

Don't get me wrong the gearbox isn't as refined as the 7 speed that followed but it's quick enough and the engine is a bit agricultural. I love it though, it returns good MPG, tonnes of torque and dare I say, when you give it some beans it sounds alright. :)

The E320 is sounding very promising.

I test drove an E270 years ago but wimped out as I'd never had a Merc before. Since had the E250 from new in 2013 so a lot happier now to plump for an older Merc.

150mph, really?

Litcan91 said:
Impressive, I never realised that they would do 145mph in stock form.
250's CDIs will crack 149mph pretty easily, amazing what car engines are capable of compared to just 15 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom