E320 CDI - smoke from exhaust at high speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ash

Car
2016 s213 220d
Hi - I've noticed that if I'm overtaking or giving the car a bit of welly at higher speed there's a load of smoke (I don't think it's particularly dark) visible in the rearview mirror. The car seems to drive pretty well. It's 2003 with nearly 70k on the clock but as far as I can tell seems fine. Apart from the smoke - perhaps they all do that? Any ideas? I'm all for letting sleeping dogs lie but it's a bit embarrassing to be a polluter

Ash

have you tried changing the air filter, also if you potter around a lot, soot builds up in the exhaust and is only expelled when you give it a bit of welly, what colour smoke is it?

Difficult to be sure what colour from the rearview (and we don't have another car to follow it in!) but it's not especially dark, sort of ligght brown-ish... but yes, the car does too much pottering around. Thanks

Try some injector cleaner and a good kaning up a steep hill. Visible smoke is normal under load after driving more gently.

Try some injector cleaner and a good kaning up a steep hill. Visible smoke is normal under load after driving more gently.

Very common too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom