E320 CDi Stainless Steel Exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterE320Cdi

Car
C219 CLS 320 CDi, R170 SLK 230K, XC60 Past Cars: S210 E320 CDi rusty, CLK 240, S210 E300 DT
My exhaust tailbox has rusted through so I am looking for a replacement. The official part is £252, but I am planning on keeping the car for years so think that a stainless steel replacement may be a better bet.

I have had a quote for £205 for a Remus tailbox but am a bit concerned that it will be very load, has anyone tried these?

The other option is to go for a full custom system, is it legal to run without cats and would there be a noticable performance gain?

Thanks, Peter.

Just phoned Tesco and they want an increase of about 10% in my insurance premium just for fitting a stainless steel tailbox :(

Yup it's then a 'modified' car, which some insurers weight against.

Direct Line hiked my premium AND increased the excess just because my car had (M-B) 17" wheels on, rather than the factory standard 16" ones.

With Elephant there was no increase at all for a modified exhaust system (I now have an AMG rear box, and no centre muffler).

I have booked into longlife exhausts to have a new stainless steel tailbox made/fitted next Thursday.

I have been quoted £199 and it comes with a lifetime warranty and a promise that they can make it quiter then the original.

They told me I should not remove the cats as from L reg onwards they need a cat for the MOT.

PeterE320Cdi said:
They told me I should not remove the cats as from L reg onwards they need a cat for the MOT.

Only applicable to petrols not diesels!

So if I get them to remove the cats it legal and will still pass the MOT?

Any idea on the performance benefits of removing cats?

I went into Longlife exhausts this morning to have the stainless steel exhaust made/fitted.

When they examined mine it turns out the the box is OK and it's the support bracket that rusted through so offered to repair mine instead of fitting a new one.

Needless to say I was happy with this much less expensive option and pleased that they offered this instead of just pushing for a sale.:)

Plus you avoid the 10% insurance hike. Reassuring to hear there are people around who are glad to save you money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom