E320 CDI starting trouble!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walesuk1

Hi I have a 2002 e320 cdi estate its done 120,000 mls full service history,this morning(it was cold) I went out to start it and took 3 turns to start with heat light going out but also sounded like misfire aswell clock needles were moving also up and down.Once started it was ok if i turn it off it starts but turn over a little longer than it should then happened again a few hours later.Anyone know what this problem could be?

regards
Mike

Is the battery original fit, if so I would suspect it's on the way out.
Failing batteries don't like cold weather!

sorry no its not missing after its started its fine,its when cranking over it sounded like a misfire(not 100% it was) or as if the starter was hitting something but it eventually starts,after nearly 10 seconds cranking over.

after its started and warmed up I can shut the car off and start it but it still doesnt fire right away takes a few seconds longer than it should do to start

Have checked the battery seems ok,first thing in the morning the starter motor is not cranking the engine over i can hear it just spinning on first turn of the key if I stop then turn again it turns over and starts what could that be?

I take it these cars dont have Glow Plugs? ive not had a modern diesel for year, my last one was a 306 Dturbo!

New battery 100ah 760amps £110.45 from Mercedes

Car has gone for diagnostic test today as its running in limp home mode wont change gear now,will let you know outcome

the garage did diagnostic on the car today couldn't find fault with gearbox but did bring up alternator message so all systems reset,although has kept the car to try and find starting problem and grinding noise

Car has gone for diagnostic test today as its running in limp home mode wont change gear now,will let you know outcome
The 210 goes into limp mode if the valve body in the auto box recieves an undervoltge the fault code needs to be cleared - weak battery would cause this on initial start-up

What would you think the noise is that im getting its like a grinding sound when starter is spining and then misses the timing gear on and off? sounds really bad

Been told today my starter motor is knackered anyone know best place to get one at a good price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom