E320 CDI - Turbo gone, options and advice welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rawhide

Car
2 x 2004 S211 320 CDI
Hi all, I have had the displeasure of running a 2004 E320 CDI which has been cursed since I bought it for my wife several years ago. To cut a long story short I've thrown far more money at it than it deserves, to the point where I'm so committed to the thing I can't see it scrapped. I had a replacement engine fitted about 8 weeks ago due to a coolant hose popping off and my wife not stopping as she was on a dual carriage way causing engine meltdown. Despite some teething problems such as stuck thermostat, overfilling of oil, air con being not gassed the car was running decently. The garage did mention the boost was a bit low but they cleaned the EGR and said it was ok. The car drove as it did before so I was calling the job good enough. The repair cost about 3/4 of the cost of the car but felt worth it (just) as a case of better the devil you know.

Today the turbo has died. I was worried it was the engine and was ready to have it recovered to the garage who fitted the engine but got there and suspected turbo which was my part, not replaced by the garage. It's now in my garage and sure enough the turbo has about 1cm of free play. I'm yet to drop the oil. The engine seems to run smoothly, but very quickly huge amounts of smoke come from the exhaust with a nasty waxy smell.

I'd welcome your guidance as to whether I should just put a recon turbo on there, or even one from a breakers just to test or if it's likely to have done irreparable damage to the new engine? I'm not keen on throwing good money after a bad car, but I could perhaps get away with a quick turbo swap. I will drop oil tomorow to see if that gives me a clue.

The car has about 105k miles and was remapped by prior owner. It's also driven hard by my wife the car killer.

smoky exhaust is normal if turbo is leaking lubrication oil to cylinders... I don't thinkmajor damage done to engine unless it didn't seriously over rev due to oil burn, or unless turbo blades are broken and bits gone to cylinder.

Well I feel for you,but as you have spent the money best you pay for the turbo,what are they fitted £400 ? small beer given what you have spent.

Yep , it’s a tough decision, how much would it cost to get a replacement car (which will be another unknown) vs repairing the existing one ?

As above, need to check the integrity of the turbo to ascertain if anything has likely made its way into the engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom