E320 CDI v CL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
New E320 CDI was in front of me today on the way home, blimey do those things shift (Brian :D )

Side by side from 50mph to 100mph there is hardly and difference, unless I punch the kickdown and then the CL starts to move away.

I eventualy overtook (after 5 miles behind him)on a sweeping bend where the ABC system helped me! I went round the bend a bit too quick for my liking, slid slightly as I was on the way round but got past by the end of it.

If we were one minute later, a C32 AMG would have joined in too. It only caught us up once we had slowed in traffic.

Off to the dealer to order E400 CDI now.......

I got blown away by a E320 ages ago, but never told anyone about it!

imagine a Chipped E320

I don't think that had much more power than the E320, as with the new W211 they improved the 320cdi engine.

Most of the tuning companies such as Brabus don't offer a chip for the W211 E320cdi (yet), they do for the E220/E270cdi and for the S320cdi.

Last edited:
Well lads you have finally realised why I chose the E320 CDI.:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

The torque and mid range power is wonderful for those cars that take you on when they see you poodling along at 80mph on the motorway. It's when you put your foot down and leave them behind that it gives most satisfaction. As a young lady in a Porshe found out the other day, every time she tried to catch me I just accelerated and left her behind.:D :D :D

Matt, I couldn't match your roadholding though, so I would lose on the bends.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Brian WH
Matt, I couldn't match your roadholding though, so I would lose on the bends.:rolleyes:

Note to self : Get Airmatic dual Control:bannana: :bannana:

C270CDI or E320CDI

I am the sort of person who likes to know what car is next on the shopping list, well in advance. I don't anticipate changing mine for a couple more years. However, I have been looking at the chip tuning companies, to eek a little more out of mine, hopefully it will run a little smoother 4k+ as well. However my interest in an E320CDI and thinking of chipping it has had me looking at the other power gains from the 270 motor out of interest.

The tuning companies dyno run graphs make the C270CDI look a better bet when it comes to torque over a wider rev range, maybe not the same peak, but the spread appears better.

Has anyone been lucky enough to compare these cars, both chipped?

Re: C270CDI or E320CDI

Originally posted by altreed
I am the sort of person who likes to know what car is next on the shopping list, well in advance. I don't anticipate changing mine for a couple more years. However, I have been looking at the chip tuning companies, to eek a little more out of mine, hopefully it will run a little smoother 4k+ as well. However my interest in an E320CDI and thinking of chipping it has had me looking at the other power gains from the 270 motor out of interest.

The tuning companies dyno run graphs make the C270CDI look a better bet when it comes to torque over a wider rev range, maybe not the same peak, but the spread appears better.

Has anyone been lucky enough to compare these cars, both chipped?

You can only "Chip" the last model E320CDI and the result is close to the power and performance of my new one. The new engine cannot be chipped and has to adjusted on the Management system, which nobody has done yet.

The S320CDI Kleemann was the old engine not the new.

Not having tried an E for a long time perhaps this might not be strictly accurate, but here goes.....

......I would suggest that you look at your driving style and feel for the car. If you prefer more agility then go for the C270 a smaller lighter car should handle better. I prefer that type, hence going back to a 'mid' size car after the ML (only experience will tell!)

My perception of the E is that it is more comfortable and softer so if you prefer that type then the E320....

My preference would be for the C270 CDi (T) Avant Garde (with the sport pack, and a chip!)

Or seeing as my allegiance has changed shouldn't I be plugging the virtues of the 330d Sport.....:D

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom