E320 CDi (W210) Engine Temperatures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave K

Car
E320 CDi (W210)
Now that summer has more or less gone, I've noticed that the engine temperature on my E320 CDI (W210) has dropped. It was sitting at about 80 (more or less) throughout summer but now sits at about 65 no matter what traffic conditions (although I've not been caught in a proper traffic jam yet). Cruising at 85 mph on the motorway or pottering around town - the temp is 65. Does this seem right? Surely the colder running engine will use more fuel (which has never been that great on ours. I babied it from Sussex to Bournemouth and just about scraped 40 mpg).

Any opinions appreciated.
Dave

Dave,

I have an E220 CDi and I notice the same situation. Having only recently moved to diesels I did some checking on this at the local MB service station, they inform me that this is perfectly normal and that diesels generally run cooler than petrol engines (which on my previous C200 ran at about 90deg.C).
I find mine drifts upto (and a little over the 80's) in heavy town driving but rarely gets above 60 - 70 on long runs. Mine only got upto the 90's this summer while driving through the Alps in France. If other members have any comments on this, I would be interested. The thing that annoys me is that the owners manual does not give typical operating temperatures for different driving conditions. How are the inexperienced expected to know when things are not going well ?

Last edited:
I have a 2002 W210 E220 CDI - mine sits a little under the 90 c mark which I thought was high as a friend on mine has a W202 C220 CDI which sits exactly on the 80 c mark. :confused:

My C250td normally sits at just over the 80 mark until you give it some, this then rises for a very short time. On a run to birkenhead recently it did drop to around 70, but it was quite early in the morning.

My E220 CDI (W210) is struggling to get over 60 degrees in this cold weather. I was wondering whether I have a thermostat problem and the engine temp is too low?

cheers

Sam :confused:

I'm in the same boat. Mine never makes it above 60 in this cold weather. It'll get a new thermostat in teh next few weeks and see what happens.

Should sit a shade under 80'C in the cold weather. 60'C is on the low side.

Assuming you are doing journeys long enough to warm up then the temp should stay at 80-ish all year round.

CDi engines will take a long while to warm up in cold weather due to not wasting much fuel.

Dieselman said:
Assuming you are doing journeys long enough to warm up then the temp should stay at 80-ish all year round.

CDi engines will take a long while to warm up in cold weather due to not wasting much fuel.

I agree 80 is norm. Takes 5 miles in summer and up to 10 miles in winter to get to 80.

Finally got around to changing the stat in the E320 CDI. Now runs at just over 80 instead of just over 60. Worth the £30 it cost to buy th stat (you get the whole housing and the temp sensor, not just the stat).

Dave K said:
Finally got around to changing the stat in the E320 CDI. Now runs at just over 80 instead of just over 60. Worth the £30 it cost to buy th stat (you get the whole housing and the temp sensor, not just the stat).

It'll be interesting to see if your fuel consumption improves now that the engine is back to running at the correct temperature.

gents i've had my E300TD for about 18 mths now
what is the average mileage per tank full that you are getting from your TD's
i seem to get about 325 if im lucky
kerry

butty1964 said:
gents i've had my E300TD for about 18 mths now
what is the average mileage per tank full that you are getting from your TD's
i seem to get about 325 if im lucky
kerry
Kerry, myE300TD is the same. I average around 23mpg in town and 29mpg on a run. I put it down to mine being chipped, I think.

They are both low figures unless you do all town work and use the power a lot.
You should expect to better 30mpg with a fair bit of town work even in winter. This will give a lowest of about 450 to a tank. with longer journeys 700 is possible from the standard tank.
Dont forget the E300 only has the smaller tank as standard, it's the same as a 200 petrol.

well it normally should sit at 80-82

here is mine...
DSC00371.jpg

like that ^^^

When I first got my E300TD, it ran very cool (50 degrees or so).
I replaced the thermostat and it then ran at just below 80 regardless.
It made no difference to the fuel consumption which ran at about 33mpg constant motorway speed!

Replacement Thermostat sorted it for me...

Just a note to say, thanks to the posters here, I got the local garage to replace the thermostat on my extremely cool-running E320 CDI which has instantly sorted the issue.

It's been flipping cold in the last month, granted, but my W210 was just scraping 60 / 65 degrees, even on hour long runs with pathetic service from the interior heaters; MPG down to 28. Only time will tell with the latter, but regards heat: one thermostat later and its running at an even 80 degrees after just 10 minutes gentle running (no thrashing it / hills to warm it up). Heaters are also blasting wonderful hot air also.

Got to be worth a try if yours is displaying the same symptoms.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom